Slight Handle Bind When Drags Buttoned Down

Started by russ1962, August 09, 2016, 06:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

russ1962

I have a reel that has a very small amount of handle bind when drags are tightened down.
The slight binding only occurs in one spot while I'm reeling, at about the 12:00 position with the handle pointing straight up, and only when the drags are tightened down.
It doesn't affect the operation of the reel at all, but it's just enough to feel, and none of my other reels have this 'spot' of resistance.

Does anyone have any ideas on what may be causing this?

alantani

stuff like this happens all the time.  it can be frustrating as hell. first, try taking it apart and putting it back together.  stupid as this may sound, it fixes the problem half the time.  if it does not work, you're going to have to start digging around to find the rub.  it's a mechanical type of thing - foot bone to ankle bone, ankle bone to leg bone, leg bone to knee bone...... 

also, your reel - make, model and year? 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

russ1962

Newell Nut

If the drag disc are worn much the star is bumping the side plate when drag is tight. Just add another 3-18 washer in SS or delrin and problem solved.

russ1962

Quote from: Newell Nut on August 09, 2016, 09:45:39 PM
If the drag disc are worn much the star is bumping the side plate when drag is tight. Just add another 3-18 washer in SS or delrin and problem solved.

That was the first thing I checked. There's plenty of clearance.

alantani

yeah, sometimes the brass spacing sleeve is a little off center.  i've backed off the star, cranked these a little, then turned down the star again and they've worked fine.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

SoCalAngler

Just wondering if you are using the stock drags or have you changed them out yet? IMO if their the stock drags I'd replace them with carbon fiber drags. The older drags can get a high spot which you may not notice until their changed around in the stack.

Also when you say "buttoned down" what drag pressure are you talking about? Over fishing any reel will cause problems.

russ1962

Quote from: SoCalAngler on August 10, 2016, 02:41:31 AM
Just wondering if you are using the stock drags or have you changed them out yet? IMO if their the stock drags I'd replace them with carbon fiber drags. The older drags can get a high spot which you may not notice until their changed around in the stack.

Also when you say "buttoned down" what drag pressure are you talking about? Over fishing any reel will cause problems.

Drags are carbontex carbon fiber.
By 'buttoned down' , I'm not tightening them ALL the way but probably close to 12 lbs. I could tighten them just a little bit more, but without testing them on a scale, I think I'm pretty close to 12 lbs.

Newell Nut

Carbon fiber under the gear could be a problem. I have found several chewed up by the gear sleeve sprocket. Delrin is a better option under the gear.

russ1962

Quote from: Newell Nut on August 10, 2016, 11:57:50 AM
Carbon fiber under the gear could be a problem. I have found several chewed up by the gear sleeve sprocket. Delrin is a better option under the gear.

I have delrin washers for my Newell's with 3-stack drags but I read somewhere that delrin wasn't recommended under the recessed gear for the 4-stack Newell's.
For clarification, can the delrin also be used under the recessed gear on the 4-stacks?

Newell Nut

You could use the correct thickness delrin under the gear on a 4 stack drag system but you will lose drag surface and now you have a standard 3 stack drag. If you want strength put a CF under the gear on a Newell factory 4 stack system.

reel man

You might backing off the handle nut just a little to see if the the binding goes away.  If it does then add 1 more handle washer.

russ1962

If I'm not too tired, I'm going to take it apart and put it back together later tonight when I get home.

PacRat

Here's something that helped me with a similar problem. If your gear-sleeve is held on with a screw rather than a c-clip, check to see if the inside of the handle nut is rubbing on top of the gear-sleeve screw. If it is you can use an additional washer on top of the handle (under the handle nut) or get a screw with a flatter head.
Good luck
Mike

russ1962

Quote from: reel man on August 10, 2016, 02:36:53 PM
You might backing off the handle nut just a little to see if the the binding goes away.  If it does then add 1 more handle washer.

Tried that, Jerry. No difference.
Thanks for the recommendation.