Penn Battle II

Started by Reel 224, August 10, 2016, 01:47:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

handi2

The Battle reels are one of the most popular reels here in the panhandle of Florida.

I have worked on at least 100 of them and their cousins. They are all the same inside. The Fierce, Sargus, and Battle with a few exceptions between the Battle 1 and 2.

If you need internal gearing you will have to get Penn Persuit parts for the smaller reels. Gears are getting very low and some non existent for the smaller reels.

Many use the 5000 and mostly 6000 for offshore fishing and they take a beating.

I just opened a 5000II today that wouldn't turn at all. It took a while to get it apart. It had no water intrusion and the blues grease had turned to powder. I assume the owner is one of those that run it 'till it breaks.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

STRIPER LOU

Joe, the 4000 seems to be a good size for the boat. Maybe the 5000 would be better for shore and surf use but I'm not absolutely sure. My only reason for thinking this way is that if you get hung up from the boat, one can maneuver around to get loose. From shore you have to rely on plain ole brawn and possibly the 5000 could provide the extra oomph!!!

Do you have a good tackle shop locally by any chance? That way you could have your honey choose the one she likes! If you should go to Bass Pro Shops check for online cupons, but more than likely ebay will be the cheapest.

Take her to the tackle shop or BPS and then out to lunch and you'll be in good graces for the rest of the week!!! ;)
Best to you and Ruth,  ..  Lou

Rivverrat

Joe, have you thought about buying a used reel. There are some good american made spinners on used market. If you are you really should talk with with Fred.

Spinners have not been my thing except for ultralight fishing. However I am going to need to get 6 of them soon in the size your looking at, that will easily handle 40 lb. line.

I'm also coming around to thinking that my not owning a Torque 5 or 7 is just dumb. A heavy big game spinner like the Torque is just to versatile for me not have at least one for myself. If I had one, I know I would use it weekly & I figure I got 20-25 years of fishing left in my life. The Torque spinner is a buy it, give it to your son after your gone type reel. The price of this reel is cheap when spread out over time....Jeff