Penn Battle II

Started by Reel 224, August 10, 2016, 01:47:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel 224

Has anyone purchase a Penn Battle II in the 6000 class? I would like a little information on the Battle reel.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

FatTuna

I have serviced several of these and I own a few.

I've serviced a ton of the regular battles.

I'd take a Battle II over the original any day of the week.

Both are cheap reels that can serve a purpose; however, they are not precision reels. They are not made to last through the decades. They are a step down from the Spinfisher V but are better than most of Penn's budget based spinning reels.

Personally, I like them in the smaller sizes 1000, 2000, 3000, and 4000. I have four of the 4000s and two of the 2000s and one 1000. As well as a couple Battle 4000 IIs. I use the 4000s for light inshore fishing. I have to replace the gears in them every few years. Bearings are solid. Clutches sometimes go. Drag system is good. Spool is good. The 1000 and 2000 reels I use for squid and freshwater.

Best part about these reels is you can buy them super cheap. I got my 2000s (new) for $40 each on Ebay with free shipping. The 4000s I bought as salvaged reels for under $15 each and rebuilt them all.

Battle I vs Battle II:

Both have pretty cheap frames. I've seen the original Battles break at the stem. They also have paint issues. Flaking starts to occur and then the frame corrodes.

Both have cheap gears. The Battle II has a different pinon gear.

The Battle II has less travel in the bail.

The Battle II has a much nicer handle.

Battle II has rings on the spool so you know how much line is left.

Battle I and II have better bearings than the lesser Chinese made Penns. For example, the Sargus and Fierce.

Battle II has a versa drag system like the Penn Conflict.

MarkT

I have a Battle 6000. I've caught YT and YFT up to 30# on 5 and 10 day trips fishing 300yds of 50# spectra with 40# on top. The YFT is easier than YT!

I picked up a Saragosa 10k for this year with 400 yds of 65# spectra with an 80# leader for poppers?
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

day0ne

When looking for a certain size reel, the Battles seem to run large, i.e., a Battle 6000 is closer in size to everybody else's 8000.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

RowdyW

Joe, take a look at a Fin-Nor Lethal,   LT 60    240 yds. 14# mono & braid ready  30# max drag  $100 on Amazon & free shipping.    Check Alan Hawk's review.          Rudy    

STRIPER LOU

Hi Joe, hope you and Ruth are well!

I have both the Battle and Battle II in the 4000 size. I definitely agree with Sean that the II is an improvement. For boat use the 4000 works for me. Its not a high end reel by any means but I'm still using the original battle with no repairs.

I also recently picked up a Fin-Nor Bait Teaser 60 on sale at a vendor on ebay for $75.00 shipped. Its a big reel and it seems like a good deal for the money involved. Don't know how it will stand up but with the attention that you give to your reels you may be surprised and reasonably happy with either.

These get  used for surface plugging for bass. Lots of ugly old bluefish get caught on them and they can destroy a lot of tackle. So far, so good!
I definitely spend my most money on conventional reels as they are my workhorses. Spinners, if they get really bad I either junk them or give them to someone that likes to play with them.
Some of the Surf guys here like the Van Stahls. Its a nice reel but for me I'd take the $750.00, buy 3 conventionals and a cheap spinner and be much happier!

Let me know if you want a pic of the Fin-Nor and I'll send it to you.

You and Ruth have a great day and stay well.

best regards,  ..  Lou

PS got out for a few hours yesterday and so many blues made it tough to get to the bass.  3 bass total, 2 smaller and one about 35lbs. Boat was an absolute mess from bluefish blood!

MarkT

The Battles and other lower end Penn's (Conflict, Clash) are Chinese too!

rippin_lips

Yay spinning reel talk. I have a Battle II 2500, a Penn Clash 2500, a Fin Nor inshore 4000 and 2 Fin Nor lethals (25 and 60). The clash is by far my favorite. None of them are bad reels. They are easy to open up and maintain and they all have solid drags. The Battle II feels a little cheaper but is a solid reel. The clash feels smoother and more refined, and has very good line lay. I have caught some large snook and redfish on both Penn reels without a hitch. The Fin Nor reels are nothing fancy, but they are smooth workhorse reels with basic gears and SOLID drags. I landed multiple bull redfish over 40" on my Fin Nor lethal 25 (which is a tiny little reel). I straightened a hook with the drag cranked down. The downside of the Fin Nor reels would be the poor line lay. If the reel is going to be used sporadically by a user who won't notice the fine nuances, then the battle II will do the job just fine. I fish a lot and make 1000's of casts and retrieves with lures and the clash leaves me more pleased. They will all catch fish. I can't comment on Shimano I haven't used any of their current models.

RowdyW

Joe, there are no new $200 american reels. If you have to have a new american made spinner then get ready to spend big bucks for an expensive & complicated reel that you might have to get the factory to repair. American reels break too. If it has to be under $200 and american made then maybe a used Penn Spinfisher SS650 or SS6500 but parts are getting scarce. Just about everything you buy today is made in China or a lot of the parts come from China. The only way to have 100% american is to own old stuff. You built a custom 200 reel and I'll bet it has parts made in China in it. If you go to Home Depot & buy a new front door it will not be made in the USA.

MarkT

Conflicts, Clash, Spinfishers, etc are made in China.  You need to go to the Torque to get a Penn spinner made here.

johndtuttle

Penn still makes the 704Z in USA (and used ones are plentiful). Its a somewhat large reel, really only ideal for fishing 20-30# mono.

Other than that you are out of luck other than discontinued Penns like the 6500SS etc. If made in USA today it would be a $350 reel that no one would buy. That's just reality for that kind of money.

But, it does mean there is a lot to like when you can find one used for $100 or less. I really think one of the old Spinfishers in a size you like is going to be your best best.

RowdyW

Joe, I don't think that any spinning reel is entirely made in the US. Lots of parts are manufactured in foreign countries & sent to the US for assembly. If you have modern appliances they are loaded with parts from China, Mexico, Yugoslavia, & other countries around the world. The days of "Buy American" are over. The only way to get made in america is to milk your own cow & grow your own vegtables. Even a lot of your meat is from out of the US. Is your coffee raised in the US? How about a cup of tea from China? Face it the whole world is intergrated with all products. Even if you buy a piece of steel do you know if it might contain a piece from a Honda? Getting back to spinners even Penn does not say that the entire Torque reel is made in the US only that it is assembled in the USA. Hmmmm I wonder where a lot of the parts are from? There are no reasonably priced reels manufactured in the USA. If you can find one let us all know what company produces it.         Rudy

humboldtdan

Folks here in the NW are using the Penn Battles in the 4/5000 class for jigging for albacore up to 40lbs, which can put a beating on a reel.  I think you would be hard-pressed to find more value than the PB II.  It is a workhorse and should serve you well for stripers.  I would think the 6000 would be a bit large.

STRIPER LOU

I'd have to go along with that. The 6000 is a big reel.
....................Lou

johndtuttle

Quote from: Reel 224 on August 10, 2016, 09:21:46 PM
Quote from: STRIPER LOU on August 10, 2016, 09:19:02 PM
I'd have to go along with that. The 6000 is a big reel.
....................Lou

Which Battle II would you recommend the 4000?

Joe

what line are you going to put on there Joe? A Battle 4000 will hold about 250 yards of 30# braid spooled up at home. But if mono you may need a 5 or 6k....