Daiwa Sealine 350HK

Started by Ruffy, August 10, 2016, 10:50:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruffy

Hi all, can anyone tell me anything about a Sealine 350HK? I picked one up today from a second hand store but won't get a chance to crack it for a few days. Looks like a regular 350H, same stated capacity, I am just wondering what the difference is?

Cheers,
Andrew

Porthos

Hmm...1st suspicion is that it's just a Sealine 350H with a "K" added to designated it to a specific market.

Once you open it up, a comparison to the standard 350H schematic will confirm.

Rancanfish

Porthos is usually right when it comes to the Daiwas.  8)

Post up a pic.

Seems to me that some of the models seem to be like what you see with different versions of some Penns.  For instance, bars and sideplate differences. But same spool capacity and innards.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Shark Hunter

Yes,
Wai is the Sealine expert.
He knows his stuff. ;)
Life is Good!

Porthos

I was basing my conjecture off of this googled photo:

Ruffy

I couldn't wait and tore it down today even though I should be doing other jobs. It looks as though it is a high speed 350H. It matches the 350H schematics however the main gear has 42 teeth, pinion has 10, giving it a 4.2:1 ratio.

It has a three stack drag with the original washers made out of leather/fibre/something. I measured the washers with a ruler and they are approximately 24 x 14 x 1.5mm, it looks like Dawn's 18C will be a close match (http://www.smoothdrag.com/Carbontex_washer_sizes_Retail3-2014.pdf).

The only visible difference is the tailplate, if you didn't count the teeth you'd have no idea.

Cheers,
Andrew

Porthos

It would seem that the less common Sealines with deviations from the standard "H" suffix are high-speed:

• Daiwa 30SH
  • Daiwa 350HK

Googling yields results for units located in South Africa and Southeast Asia. Hence the "specific markets" conclusion.

The exceptions are the "HW" suffix models which I believe have a brass spool for wire line.

The 50H, 300H*, and 350H* all share the same bridge and gear sleeve. The drag washers are common too. The 50H has the 4.2:1 gearing so it appears that Daiwa dropped the 50H gearing into a 350H and added a "K."

Based your info, Rusty, by shear coincidence, my intentional swap of a 4.2:1 gear set from a 50H into my 300H last year essentially configured a "300HK" if such a reel ever existing in the Daiwa lineup.