Newell spool

Started by swill88, August 13, 2016, 06:16:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swill88

Are Newell 338 spools interchangeable with jigmaster 500 spools?

steve

bigggfish

No, spindle lengths are different.

swill88

Bryan Young

Randy may have a graphic Newell for your jigmaster. Kyle just sent me a pic of his. Very nice.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

reel man

There was a very short run of graphite spools that had Penn Jigmaster spool shafts.  This error was caught, and these spools were dumped into a box that sat around for years.  Some of them made it out to the public, but are pretty rare.

Penn Chronology

QuoteThere was a very short run of graphite spools that had Penn Jigmaster spool shafts.  This error was caught, and these shafts were dumped into a box that sat around for years.  Some of them made it out to the public, but are pretty rare.

I would love to see a photo of one. What color are they?

reel man

The color of the plastic spools are a dark gray.  The aluminum spool were painted semi black.

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: Penn Chronology on August 13, 2016, 10:23:45 PM
QuoteThere was a very short run of graphite spools that had Penn Jigmaster spool shafts.  This error was caught, and these shafts were dumped into a box that sat around for years.  Some of them made it out to the public, but are pretty rare.

I would love to see a photo of one. What color are they?

reel man

And that spool is from the G series.

Penn Chronology

QuoteAnd that spool is from the G series.

Is that the spool that fits the Jigmaster?

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Yes Mike, that's a Newell graphite 500 spool.

Penn Chronology

QuoteYes Mike, that's a Newell graphite 500 spool.

Very cool, I never saw one before. Thanks for sharing!

Vintage Offshore Tackle

It's too bad that they didn't make more of them.  Out here on the left coast, the ability to cast small live baits without any weight as far and as gently as possible can make the difference between success and failure and these super lightweight (but strong) spools are just the ticket for those who still love their Jigmasters.

500 SPOOL WEIGHT COMPARISON

Penn chrome spool:  5.3 oz.
Penn stainless spool:  4.3 oz.
Penn aluminum spool:  3.8 oz.
Newell aluminum spool:  3.0 oz.
Newell graphite spool:  2.5 oz.

Thanks,

Randy

Penn Chronology

Thanks Randy, I will look for one of these; but, I have the feeling most of them are in California.

Tightlines667

Any idea what the weight on the Penn Plastic, and the Tiburon Billetted Aluminum spools are as well? (Just for comparison's sake)
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.