penn formula 30 2 speed

Started by mokomoa, March 21, 2011, 03:20:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mokomoa

I,m having trouble removing the plastic drag plate seal.
The reel is quite old and i think its probably seized in there some how.
Before i start hamering on the plastic teeth with a flat nose screwdriver to try and budge it, is there a better way of freeing it up?
Cheers

Nessie Hunter

They are often reverse threaded.   
Im Not familiar with that model though??
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

mokomoa

Yeah, it has a direction arrow on the side.. its tight as tho.

josa1

I've had some success by just running hot tap water over the metal surface the plastic is screwed into.  This causes the metal to expand just a bit and just may loosen the cover.

akfish

These can be a real drag to get off. In the very worse cases, I just destroy the plastic drag cover. A new cover is cheap -- $4.00 or something -- but you don't really need one. Leave it off and you have a drag just like an Avet.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

mokomoa

Ok thanks guys will give those ideas a try.

alantani

you can drill two small holes into the cover at 180 degrees, then use an old pair of needle nose pliers as a spanner wrench.  don't worry about the holes during the rebuild.  just leave them open.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

mokomoa

Thanks guys, ended up destroying it but managed to get her off. I will see if i can get a replacement.
There was heaps of salt build up, seizing the thread.
The felt drag is very dirty so will try and clean it up with some warm soapy water?

alantani

mokomoa

Alan do you sell parts for this reel?
Or know where i can order some?

alantani

check with shimano or these guys...

Fisherman's Warehouse
9035 Folsom Boulevard
Sacramento, CA 95826
(916) 362-1200

mokomoa

Cool thanks,
I have also found Scotts on the net.
I think it will be cheaper to buy from USA rather than my own country.. even with the shipping costs.