andros

Started by wallacewt, March 21, 2011, 05:47:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallacewt

now that alan and reelspeed have done the tutorials on the andros 511 id like some suggestions on spring loading the 2 dogs.a shame okuma didnt do it.cheers

paal

I apologize for my ignorance on this matter, but since there are two dogs, what is the likelihood that both will fail? It is of course high if they are mangled for some reason (e.g. unskilled service person), but assuming they are in good working order... I ask because I am going to get this reel myself, for halibut fishing. So I definitely want it to be reliable :)
Regards from Norway.

wallacewt

hi paal,they wont fail,its just that when mine was sent from usa to australia they got some rough treatment in the post.1 of the dogs was shaken loose.could happen to any reel if you keep throwing them around.they are very good imo.cheers

paal

I did not think of that possibility, but I definitely see your point. I suppose it could also happen if the reel takes a hit while in use. I guess Okuma had a reason for that "single screw take down" strategy :)

wallacewt

yeah haha,dont worry,they are good reels

alantani

with a small reel like that, i think it should be fine.  bear in mind that it is not the same class reel as the makaira.  what they've found is that they can't have an anti-reverse roller bearing and a two speed shifter.  there has to be a small amount of back play to allow the gears to shift.  they could have, and maybe should have, used to clicking dogs, but i think it will be ok.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

wallacewt

thanks alan,when i looked at your tutorial there was 2 screws under the loose laid dogs and i thought maybe i could fix a spring there.thought id asked before trying.

alantani

unfortunately, no.  as you have so aptly pointed out, manufacturers are bowing to market pressure and are producing silent reels, regardless of the risks.......   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!