How to Get Rid of Old Vintage/Antique Reels

Started by foakes, August 17, 2016, 07:32:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

How about a lighted shadow box table with a glass top or one with a large rim so that you can admire the reels and take them out to handle them if you wanted to.  Also the light will add a glow to the room while displaying the reels.

Now, if you wanted to make a lamp, I would suggest affixing the reel(s) to the base and use the reel to lower and raise the lamp shade(s) for more or less light via spectra.  The spectra could be routed up the post via old guides.  You may also use portions of old fishing rods for this as well.

Sounds like a fun project Fred.

Too bad you don't have a mill.  I can only imagine how many good planks you could get from that wood.  Not to mention the burly wood from the base.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

foakes

Quote from: Bryan Young on August 18, 2016, 01:50:45 PM
How about a lighted shadow box table with a glass top or one with a large rim so that you can admire the reels and take them out to handle them if you wanted to.  Also the light will add a glow to the room while displaying the reels.

Now, if you wanted to make a lamp, I would suggest affixing the reel(s) to the base and use the reel to lower and raise the lamp shade(s) for more or less light via spectra.  The spectra could be routed up the post via old guides.  You may also use portions of old fishing rods for this as well.

Too bad you don't have a mill.  I can only imagine how many good planks you could get from that wood.  Not to mention the burly wood from the base.

Unfortunately, Bryan --

No room for a shadow box table -- however, the War Department has given me her "official approval" to install a lighted LED vertical display, controlled by a dimmer -- at the end of the upstairs hallway -- as you enter either the guest room or the inside reel shop.

This will include (10) Senators -- constructed of Oak, with some plex, a mirror in back, and hung into the wall studs with a French Cleat system -- since just the 10 reels weigh 49 pounds.

A big thanks to everyone who helped to make this Senator collection possible --

Will need to ask advice from Daron on the Plex option.

Part of this little lamp project is keeping it simple to build, attractive, and affordable.

Thinking about pricing them at $95 each -- or a pair for $150.

Have a trophy shop fellow who will do a really professional placard in any color needed --

Something like -- JOHNSON CENTURY    --or--   MITCHELL 300
                               Circa: 1960                           Circa: 1959
                                    USA
                                FRANCE

Payment for this display privilege was rendered in advance by installing two ceiling fans, dimmer controlled track lighting, making a shelf by the guest bed out of Oak, rewiring the guest bedroom with new receptacles, repairing a 87 year old door, changing out the headboard on our bed, and installing two sets of mini blinds.

The opportunity must be redeemed within a short period of time -- otherwise, additional HD's will be added -- or window of opportunity will evaporate.

Even with all of this loss of Pine trees -- we can find things to be grateful for -- the flowers and deer show us this.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

sdlehr

Quote from: Bryan Young on August 18, 2016, 01:50:45 PM
How about a lighted shadow box table with a glass top or one with a large rim so that you can admire the reels and take them out to handle them if you wanted to.  Also the light will add a glow to the room while displaying the reels.

Too bad you don't have a mill.  I can only imagine how many good planks you could get from that wood.  Not to mention the burly wood from the base.
Taking this one step further, what if you could totally enclose each reel in a cube of lucite or some other clear plastic? Maybe with a little engraved sticker with some reel information. You could then use that as a gift, or incorporate it into something like a lamp or a bookend - but the lucite protects and preserves the reel forever; and the reel is available for inspection from all sides (except the inside). Variations could be made containing one reel and both open halves of a second, identical reel, to show internal workings. I know the technology is available to do this. I don't know how much anyone would pay for one or how much it would cost to make one or have one made, but I could see these becoming popular gifts if they can be sold for <$150 or so. Glad to help with a prototype.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

foakes

Hi Sid --

Thought I saw you had a need for a rare thumb-slot screw on that old Portage Pastime LW.

Now, I cannot find your inquiry?

Did you find what you needed already?

Anyway -- I could not find a screw in any of the bins or drawers, or other reels -- so I took one off of this nice little ruby handled reel -- and just substituted a similar German Silver regular slotted.

If still needed -- just let me know, and I will send it along.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mizmo67

This lamp idea is really sounding cool.
Can't wait to see how the project turns out.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

oc1

Fred, you seem to have a lot of old rods too and those are probably even harder to get rid of than the reels.  You could use the rod handle and, perhaps, part of the blank as the upright for the lamp.  You would have to bore a hole through the rod handle or do something ingenious to hide the lamp wire.  The reel would be mounted in the reel seat so you could still twirl the handle.
-steve

sdlehr

Quote from: foakes on August 18, 2016, 05:32:44 PM
Hi Sid --

Thought I saw you had a need for a rare thumb-slot screw on that old Portage Pastime LW.

Now, I cannot find your inquiry?

Did you find what you needed already?

Anyway -- I could not find a screw in any of the bins or drawers, or other reels -- so I took one off of this nice little ruby handled reel -- and just substituted a similar German Silver regular slotted.

If still needed -- just let me know, and I will send it along.

Best,

Fred
It was just above, Fred. I would very much appreciate if you could send that screw, or one like it, my way. I saw several old Pflueger/Four Bros reels in your recent pics with these screws - just letting you know you have several to choose from. Thanks.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

foakes

Here is the first batch of reels for the lamps -- 453...

99% are from the early1900's -- up through about mid 60's...

All US, French, Swiss -- and a few older Japanese I thought were neat from the 50's or 60's.

There are some pretty neat reels in here --

These have just been in bins for many years --

163 old baitcasters -- Shakespeare, Pflueger, Bronson, South Bend, Langley, OC, Sears, and others
51 open face spinners -- Bache Brown, Shakespeare, Nyolite, Zebco, Sears, Airex, and many others,
64 closed face spin casters -- too many brands
36 fly -- Assorted brands
26 automatic fly -- Assorted brands
113 conventional salts -- OC, Coxe, Pflueger, Shakespeare, Coit, 4 Brothers, True Temper, and many more

If these reels could talk -- what stories they could tell about the lives of the anglers who treasured them -- and the fishing trips that made lifetimes of memories.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

foakes

While waiting for the first lamp kits to get here --

Was going through just a couple of the boxes -- some interesting names -- most I have not heard of...

Front Row, Starting at Left:

Shakespere Samson 2202
Pflueger Alpine 2657
4 Brothers Sumco 2257
OC Fortesque -- plus reads German Silver
4 Brothers Sumco 2257

Back Row, Starting at Left:

JA Coxe 1315L
OC St. Lucie
Pflueger Tempco
Pflueger Pontiac
OC 110
Pflueger Interocean 1885
Abbey & Imbrie Seabright
A. H. Fox Gun Co.
OC -- no markings
OC Jones Beach

Tried polishing one of the brass 4 Brothers -- turned out almost like new.

I think there may be a few interesting reels in the old baitcasters also.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Dominick

Fred if you get some time would you segregate the AH Fox Gun Co. reel and post a photo of it.  I never heard of the company until I read Mike's book.  I'd like to see a clos-up of that reel.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Aiala

What happens to those huge stumps, Fred?  ???  Do you just leave them to slowly rot away? I can't begin to imagine how hard it'd be to dig them out.   :P

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

foakes

Quote from: Dominick on August 20, 2016, 08:26:45 PM
Fred if you get some time would you segregate the AH Fox Gun Co. reel and post a photo of it.  I never heard of the company until I read Mike's book.  I'd like to see a clos-up of that reel.  Dominick

This is a pretty rough example, Dominick -- but it would make a nice lamp base, I think.

Had one years ago in much better condition that I sold to a collector.

Headplate is cracked -- and looks like someone made a thumb drag out of whatever leather they had laying around.

Handle is possibly not original either -- but I would not know.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

foakes

Quote from: Aiala on August 20, 2016, 08:27:46 PM
What happens to those huge stumps, Fred?  ???  Do you just leave them to slowly rot away? I can't begin to imagine how hard it'd be to dig them out.   :P

~A~

Not sure yet, Aiala --

For now, it is just getting the trees down safely -- to where we can handle them.

So far we have dropped exactly 75 Ponderosas -- which is considered a species of Yellow Pine.  Possibly have another 10 or 15 to do.

Then it is a steady race to limb, cut into 16" rounds, split & stack, and clean up the forest -- before first snow generally about November 15.

Aesthetically, and ideally, I would like the stumps gone -- practically and financially, they may end up just being cut as low as possible for now.

Some of the stumps and logs are right at 48".

I worked since 6:15 this morning cutting rounds and clean up.  Just called it quits a few minutes ago -- bushed.

One tree close to our house -- tree guys said it was 180' -- I think more like 140' -- with a 50" base -- took 3 very experienced guys all day yesterday to get it down to 35'.  

They came back this morning to drop the rest.  There is a LP tank, power lines on either side, plus our house, our shops and garage, a septic system, a couple of apple trees -- every limb and chunk of trunk needed to be pulleyed down.

These guys were really good -- PGE had another company working up here, the story is: they would camp out, get drunk, and were not very professional.  After they dropped a giant tree on a house -- PGE hired this other company to do the more dangerous and technical cutting -- that we were lucky enough to get.  Every day for the last 4 days -- they said they would be on site by 6:30.

Every day, they got here by 6:10 -- and were working by 6:20.

They have good safety equipment -- and 4 of the 6 guys have been doing the same work, for the same company, for up to 36 years.  They are sober, alert, neat, careful, and polite.  All good things.

We are fortunate to have these dead trees down.  If we needed to evacuate because of a wildland fire -- we could likely just stay on scene.  The Roman Candles around our house are gone now.

We still have smaller pines, mature cedars, fir, oak, and manzanita -- so it is unfortunate about the Ponderosas -- but we needed to get rid of some of the old big ones for safety sake -- and just being good stewards of the land.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Shark Hunter

That is some Giant wood Fred.
I have a dead ash in my back yard, probably 60 feet tall. Problem is, it is a split tree and right next to power lines on a downhill slant.
I hired a guy to cut it down next week. I'm afraid if I pull on the top after notching it, the top will break off. It has been dead for several years.
He is only charging $100 to drop it and another $300 to haul it off. Money well spent.
Life is Good!

foakes

Quote from: Shark Hunter on August 20, 2016, 09:41:37 PM
That is some Giant wood Fred.
I have a dead ash in my back yard, probably 60 feet tall. Problem is, it is a split tree and right next to power lines on a downhill slant.
I hired a guy to cut it down next week. I'm afraid if I pull on the top after notching it, the top will break off. It has been dead for several years.
He is only charging $100 to drop it and another $300 to haul it off. Money well spent.

That sounds good, Daron --

Make sure your Homeowner's is current, and covers this type of potential issue.

And also, remember, there will most likely be no issues -- but if there was an issue, you just hired him to help YOU -- as a hired labor helper -- not to do the entire job.

Because he may not be licensed or insured -- so you need to protect yourself with your insurance, if necessary.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.