Penn handle 50vsw

Started by CandR, March 21, 2011, 06:29:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CandR

Can someone tell me how to get the handle off of my 50vsw? I did not see any tutorial explaining this. It is an older 50VSw, with the push button drag system, NOT the twist button.

I can get the push button plastic part off, as well as the nut just below that, but couldnt figure out how the heck to remove the handle? Seemed like you would just lift it off, but looked like it might be screwed on?

What am I missing here???

Thanks alot!
Cheers,
Ted

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

CandR

thanks, I've seen that, but as I posted: "It is an older 50VSw, with the push button drag system, NOT the twist button.", the particular tutorial that you are referring to does not apply.

Dominick

Ted:  I have the same reel you are talking about.  I remember that once I removed the nut which takes the special tool the handle just came off with a little jiggling. ???  But I could be mis-remembering.  I have to take it apart again to replace the bellevilles so I'll check it out.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

kamuwela

check mysticparts.com  take a look at the schematic. looks like #69a is a retaining clip. that is on the first version of that reel. hope this helps.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

CandR

Pesca, yes, the special tool that comes with the reel helps remove the nut (part 110A), so that and the push button part comes off.  The next piece to come off looks like the handle, but it wasnt obvious to me how to get it off? Jiggling, lol??  Ok- I will take another shot at it........That's why I asked, what am I missing. In most other reels I've dismantled, the handle just lifts off. I cant tell if this is screwed on or what? Figured someone on here had to have done this before, as I've seen newer and older models completely disassembled, just not this model.  Weird. I dont want to strip something if there is some 'catch' to getting the handle off.

kamuwela, as for the retaining clip (69A), that is at the bottom of the push button mechanism, and is holding part 172 in place. It all comes off after you get the nut (110A) loosened and off. Nothing to do with the handle. thanks though-

alantani

ted, what's the serial number on your reel?  schematics are here.  

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/International.aspx

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

kamuwela

no the handle doesn't unscrew it has a square shaft. jiggle sound's funny but it needs to be done now and then. if you got 110a out then the handle should come off, use a little pulling power may have some corrosion. good luck

CandR

Alan, thanks- I've been over those, but nothing jumps out at me. It looks fairly obvious, but after my 50vsw drag cover fiasco, didnt want to step in it again, so figured I'd ask.

Kamuwela, yeah, I'll try again this weekend if I get time. Every other handle I have removed has been trivial. Maybe this one requires a little force, kinda like the 'pressed fit' bearing I have in the right side plate.

Thanks for the suggestions.