Who Made This Old Sea Scout & When Was It Manufactured?

Started by foakes, August 21, 2016, 12:22:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Making a list of labels for the Lamp Project --

Found this old reel marked Sea Scout --

No other markings -- however, have not broken it down yet.

Wood crank knob, pull out handle for freespool, operates very well before being restored.

Does anyone know about this reel? -- Manufacturer, Year Vintage, etc..

About the size of a LB 60.

Thanks,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

George4741

viurem lliures o morirem

Tightlines667

Quote from: George4741 on August 21, 2016, 02:08:40 AM
I'm willing to bet it is a Horrocks & Ibbotson.

Correct!

H&I in the early 1930s after they bought A&I.   Check out the picture of the boxed version Brian posted up on ORCA...

http://reeltalk.orcaonline.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7501&hilit=Sea+Scout

BTW.. I was a Sea Scout for 4 years ;)
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

foakes

After completing 6 reels today -- decided to try and clean up the Sea Scout for the Lamp Project.

2 surprises --

Someone stole all the insides!

And, to my utter amazement -- it cleaned up very well -- works very well -- and has 45 seconds of free spool.

Only took 45 minutes from start to button down -- and test all functions -- and that included a quick dinner of Turkey Chili & Garlic Bread while the Ultrasonic Cleaner was doing its job.

Nice old reel...

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

mo65

Quote from: foakes on August 23, 2016, 03:28:58 AM
Someone stole all the insides!

What parts did you use to complete her Fred? Sure came out nice!! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

foakes

Hi Mo --

Just used what was there in this simple old reel with a pull out handle for the free spool function.

No additional parts needed -- even though these are going to be for lamp base decor -- for me, the reels must be functional, serviced, clean and some patina is OK, plus all there.  Do not need to be perfect -- but must be righteous reels with no holes drilled in them.

Clean, buff it a little, grease and oil.

I have 400+ old reels for the first stage of this project all picked out and organized.

If it goes well, there are plenty more -- if they do not sell, we will all have plenty of light.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.