A Client's fixer upper

Started by Shark Hunter, September 21, 2016, 05:27:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

The new dogs should be much stronger, no chance for slipping under pressure.
Daron, was the gear sleeve stipped by the ratchet or the handle nut?

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Tightlines667

Quote from: sdlehr on September 21, 2016, 10:42:33 PM
Quote from: RowdyW on September 21, 2016, 09:35:14 PM
Daron on those dogs the newer replacement dogs have that V or U shape on the tip. I don't know why Penn changed it.
I sent Rudy a PM earlier today, and he disagreed, but it looks to me like the new design is meant to be installed one way, and when the dog wears it can be flipped around and used until the second side wears, so I'm throwing that out as an explanation for the design change.

Sid

Makes sense to me.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

RowdyW

Quote from: sdlehr on September 21, 2016, 10:42:33 PM
Quote from: RowdyW on September 21, 2016, 09:35:14 PM
Daron on those dogs the newer replacement dogs have that V or U shape on the tip. I don't know why Penn changed it.
I sent Rudy a PM earlier today, and he disagreed, but it looks to me like the new design is meant to be installed one way, and when the dog wears it can be flipped around and used until the second side wears, so I'm throwing that out as an explanation for the design change.

Sid
Sid do you think that a manufactuerer would actually make something that can be used over to last twice as long rather then sell a new one?  ::) The notch was not quite in the center.

Bryan Young

Well done Daron. Always better than new. You are the big Penn man!
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Shark Hunter

Quote from: Alto Mare on September 21, 2016, 10:52:49 PM
The new dogs should be much stronger, no chance for slipping under pressure.
Daron, was the gear sleeve stipped by the ratchet or the handle nut?

Sal
It was stripped by the handle nut Sal. Nothing but a replacement would make it work again.
I thank everyone for the positive comments.
It is a good feeling fixing reels that I know are going to catch Monsters.
I learned everything I know from Here. Mainly Sal.
As far as those notched dogs. Not a fan.
I will replace every one I come across.
I envision a Big Senator the way I want it to be.
Strong and Capable. Confident that whatever picks up the bait.
I can rely on a trusted and proven design to bring him in. ;)
Life is Good!

sdlehr

Quote from: RowdyW on September 21, 2016, 10:59:20 PM
Sid do you think that a manufactuerer would actually make something that can be used over to last twice as long rather then sell a new one?  ::) The notch was not quite in the center.

Where is Tony when you need him? :)

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

RowdyW

Where is Tony when you need him? :)

Sid
[/quote] A finger touch away on a PM.     Log into  PENN

sdlehr

Quote from: RowdyW on September 22, 2016, 02:46:36 AM
A finger touch away on a PM.     Log into  PENN
I had already PM'd and emailed him to come help us out. It looks like he's logged on, but I bet it's his work computer sitting idly at his desk while he's at home....

Sid
Sid Lehr

Penn

Sid,

I am by no means an Engineer nor do I pretend to be, but looking at the last 4 print revisions the style of the dog has not changed.  The earliest electronic print we have on file for the 15-116 is 2002 and the design was the same.  Prior to that they were all hand drawn and I do not have access to those files to see why they changed it.  

tony

sdlehr

Thanks, Tony. From the drawing I'm going to continue to believe the design was to allow reversal of a worn dog so that it could be turned around and reused after the first side has worn. Thanks for trying.

Sid
Sid Lehr