A Client's fixer upper

Started by Shark Hunter, September 21, 2016, 05:27:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

I recently agreed to fix a reel for a fellow Shark Fishermen, He said he took the bait out and it wouldn't reel back in.
I thought it was a gear issue or side plate problem. It was the sleeve. Stripped like nobody's business.
Other than that, it was in good shape. Handle upgrade was the only thing he wanted, Everything else left stock.
Mission accomplished.
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

George4741

Did you replace it with a stainless gear sleeve?  Nice handle.
viurem lliures o morirem

Shark Hunter

No George, I didn't. I wanted to, but he didn't want to spend the money.
Life is Good!

foakes

Great diagnosis and upgrade, Daron!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Rancanfish

Daron,  I have an acquaintance that thinks a fiver is a lot to spend too.  8) 

I would get frustrated working on his (3) small Penns because he abused them, yet didn't want any upgrades.

I ended up pimping out one at no charge, and didn't tell him.  After he used it for awhile, he kept saying one of his reels was 'so smooth'.  When I finally showed him what was up, he decided he wanted them all done at once.  I told him fine, pay me for first one!  He cleaned me out of all my stash of 5 stacks and sleeves from Bryan. He wanted my Accurate frames too, but I wouldn't turn 'em loose.

He just had to see the worth for himself. 

Your friend didn't realize he missed a great opportunity to have a reel wizard working on his stuff.

I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

steelfish

Quote from: Rancanfish on September 21, 2016, 04:14:07 PM

I ended up pimping out one at no charge, and didn't tell him.  After he used it for awhile, he kept saying one of his reels was 'so smooth'. 

what a coincidence, I did the same to a friend, he likes the good old gold trinidads a lot, he got 6 of them, but he says those reels dont need any upgrade, that they are so perfect from the factory (true shimano fan boy), I show him my trini16 with the carbontex and trini DC dog and spring upgrade, well he didnt wanted it on his reels.

one time he sent me 3 of them to service and I installed the carbontex and dog/spring on one of them at no charge, few months later he told me that he will send me all his trinidad to get the same than the one I tinked up

by the way, nice job on the reel Daron
The Baja Guy

sdlehr

Quote from: Shark Hunter on September 21, 2016, 05:27:01 AM
It was the sleeve. Stripped like nobody's business.
Nice job, Daron. What about the sleeve is stripped, I just can't appreciate it from the photo. Is it the ratchet? I see the dog was well-worn. I just don't get how a worn ratchet would not allow him to retrieve line. I could understand an AR problem....

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Shark Hunter

Sid, Look at the tip of the sleeve, opposite the ratchet. The first few threads are gone.
I've seen this V shaped wear on the dog the last few I have opened. Its always a newer aluminum spool model. I'm starting to think the brass is inferior to the older reels.
I offered the full Monte. Just wanted him to know it was on the table.
Honestly, I don't blame him. I threw in a stock sleeve and star for free.
He is concentrating on bigger Everol's like me.
Life is Good!

sdlehr

Thanks. Now I see it. I don't believe I have seen that problem before.

Sid
Sid Lehr

Shark Hunter

I haven't either. I didn't even notice it until I couldn't find anything wrong inside.
The star was on there, so it felt like it was bottoming out, but no drag. Weird. ::)
Life is Good!

spc7669

I have several buddies who will use one of my reels and love it, but when I offer to do the upgrades for just the cost of parts, they balk. Even a $6 set of drag washers for a 5500 is more than they'll spend. What a shame not to bring that reel to its full potential.

David Hall

I think I'm going to do that to my buddies reel, he fished it for 15yrs before he brought it to me, he just wanted it original nothing fancy.  I believe I just gleaned and greased it and added cf drags.  I think this year I'll give him the full treatment and see if he even notices.

RowdyW

Quote from: Shark Hunter on September 21, 2016, 06:14:27 PM
Sid, Look at the tip of the sleeve, opposite the ratchet. The first few threads are gone.
I've seen this V shaped wear on the dog the last few I have opened. Its always a newer aluminum spool model. I'm starting to think the brass is inferior to the older reels.
I offered the full Monte. Just wanted him to know it was on the table.
Honestly, I don't blame him. I threw in a stock sleeve and star for free.
He is concentrating on bigger Everol's like me.
Daron on those dogs the newer replacement dogs have that V or U shape on the tip. I don't know why Penn changed it. When I did my 12/0 last year it had the wedge shaped dog tip in it (alum. spool) but it was chewed up off center. When I bought the new one from SB&T it had the U or V shaped dog tip. I called Mo & she said that's the way Penn is sending the new ones. I like the old style better. I guess you haven't noticed because you always install SS sleeves & dogs. You've been removing the new style & using the old style. I think the old style has a more positive engagement.     Rudy

sdlehr

Quote from: RowdyW on September 21, 2016, 09:35:14 PM
Daron on those dogs the newer replacement dogs have that V or U shape on the tip. I don't know why Penn changed it.
I sent Rudy a PM earlier today, and he disagreed, but it looks to me like the new design is meant to be installed one way, and when the dog wears it can be flipped around and used until the second side wears, so I'm throwing that out as an explanation for the design change.

Sid
Sid Lehr