Penn 50vsw bearing question

Started by CandR, March 21, 2011, 06:33:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CandR

after removing the left side plate, I tried to get the spool out of the reel, and it seemed like it was "stuck" in the right side plate bearing??  what a pain in the rear to get out. Not sure why it was stuck? I eventually got it out after rocking it back and forth for several minutes, but I have a newer 50vsw and it just falls out. The belleville springs washers were not the cause- it looked like the spindle was stuck in the bearing?

is this an indication of corrosion on the inner surfaces of the bearing causing it to grab the spool splindle??  what is the best fix? try sanding it a bit, or do I need to replace the $20 bearing? it still spins fine.

thanks!
Ted

kamuwela

check the fit on the end of the pinion shaft and the bearing. you can file the shaft to round the edge  and polish with emry cloth. you can pollish it with fine sand paper after that to get it perfect. check fit of both bearings first.

CandR

thanks- I will try that before buying a new bearing...

alantani

the machine shop guys taught me the difference between a slip fit and a pressed fit.  sometimes there is not alot of difference at all!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

CandR

ha, ha- apparently, mine is 'pressed fit'.