Spectra on Newell Graphite Spools

Started by russ1962, August 21, 2016, 11:37:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

russ1962

Have any of you ever had any problems with loading spectra onto Newell graphite spools?
I'd like to put some spectra backing on a couple of G-220's.

otownjoe

All my Newell's have spectra backing and I've never had a problem.

bigggfish

MarkT

Mono puts more pressure on a spool than spectra. Spectra doesn't stretch, mono does.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Swami805

I have a g220 with a split spool and blown out side plate. The moral of that story is don't fish for yft at the lupe  with a newell g220 even if your'e using 20lb. It all depends on what you do with it.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

MarkT

Split spool and blown sideplate sounds like fishing with plastic spools on old Penns with mono!

russ1962

When I took them in to get spooled, the employee that was doing the spooling didn't really want to spool them.
I remember hearing of Penn spools having problems, but not Newell graphite spools.

MarkT

russ1962

I had my other reels spooled, but not the G220's.
The employee didn't seem confident about spooling them, and I decided that I didn't want HIM spooling them either.
I brought them back home.
Was going to put some 40lb braid on them with mono topshots.

MarkT

I used to have the g220, 229 and 332. All were spooled with mono. Never had an issue but never caught anything bigger than a 20# YT or Albacore.

russ1962

Caught a 25lb YT on one of them last season fishing straight mono.
Figured it would be easier to load them with spectra and change out the topshots as needed.

Swami805

It was straight 20lb mono. We were on a 6 day on the Excel. 3 days fishing there 20-30 knots of wind and ripping current. Super slow pick anything put in the water ended up in the port corner with 25 other anglers. Massive tangles were invetible so fishing light line wasn't that bad since you'd be tangled with a dozen other guys so landing a fish was a group effort. I just happened to not get tangled and buttoned down when I got close to the bottom of the spool thinking I could turn the fish or it would break off. Maybe it got hot from a bad bearing on the clicker side or something but the spool broke and pushed the bearing thru the side plate. Not fault of the reel, clearly this was on the angler. Hey, it seemed like a good idea at the time. I still have the reel, I think I'll keep it that way, wish I'd gotten the fish.
We ended up with I think 25 yft and 30 skipjack for the boat but we had a great time despite the lousy weather and poor fishing. When you go to that island on a short trip like that there's no time to go anywhere else. Beautiful  Island if you get a chance to go jump on it, it's just a matter of time before it becomes off limits to fishing altogether.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

otownjoe

I've never been lucky enough to have a fish get into the backing on one of my Newell's. I use braid backing so I dont have to replace that much mono when my reel gets  low on line .it lets me keep fresh mono on the reel for less money.

Bryan Young

I fish my 220 with 40# braid to the top with a short top shot of 20-30#. No issues catching yellows so far.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

russ1962

Quote from: Bryan Young on August 22, 2016, 06:10:34 AM
I fish my 220 with 40# braid to the top with a short top shot of 20-30#. No issues catching yellows so far.

Bryan, how much 40 lb braid will fit the 220 spool?