penn 9/0 questions

Started by GORDASKIPPER, March 22, 2011, 01:55:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GORDASKIPPER

I am a new member on the website and have posted this message directly to (alantani) and had no feedback yet geuss your slammed with responding?....I have a Penn 9/0 thought I pull it apart and clean it...never seen so much grease in a reel? Of course that's one of my questions? I bought this reel used and I don't believe its ever caught a fish... or not since I had it... so are they (drag washers) still good to use ?...no evidence of worn washer or fibers. Or do you recommend replacement parts? If so I fish offshore for grouper and large sharks so wanted your opinion on how they would hold up (originals) with a 100 plus lb grouper or upgrade while the reel's apart? I would appreciate your help...dog spring and dog seem rather poorly designed look like it could break and jam reel? Any fixes for that too? probably not...

Alto Mare

Hello Gordaskipper and welcome, I would take the reel completely apart, check and clean all parts. I would then replace the washers with carbontex, also the one under the main gear and replace the gear sleeve with the stainless steel sleeve. Take a look at the tutorial for the Senator 118, it should give you a better idea. As far as the dog and spring, I personally don't see anything wrong with ithem, these workhorses  have amassed more IGFA big game world records than all other makes combined, they do lock speed though, but if you wanted to upgade you could go with a 114H, it has the same gears as the 9/0 with a little more speed. Take care, Sal :)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

I just realized your question was directed to Alan. Sorry, Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

sal, thanks for jumping in.  been swamped for the last several days.   

gordaskipper, before spending the money on a new set of washers, try cleaning them up with an old rag, then apply a liberal amount of cal's grease, slap it back together and see how smooth the drags are.  they should be fine.  if not, order up a new set.  let's try not to spend money unless you need to, though. you should be good for up to 30 pounds of drag.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

GORDASKIPPER

Thanks Alan and Sal...you recommend just wiping old grease off with rag without the help of solvents correct?

Alto Mare

Correct, solvent will break down the grease when you re-grease the drags , unless you clean them real good. Just wipe them down with a rag and add some Cal's and you're set to go.

GORDASKIPPER

Sal you suggested "replace the gear sleeve with the stainless steel sleeve" where do i purchase that?

Alto Mare

I don't believe that Alan has this size, try this information from Reel Creel. Hope this helps, Sal

Some sources of SS gear sleeves for Penn Senator Reels:

Elec-Tra-Mate, Greensboro, NC, 336-273-9101
#98-320SS...for 4/0, 113H, 320GT @ $20.00
#98-114SS...for 6/0, 114H @ $25.00
#98-116SS...for 12/0 @ $25.00
#98-117SS...for 14/0 @ 25.00

Capt. Harry's, Miami, FL, 800-327-4088,Catalog...44th Edition 2011...page 17
#C98-114SS...for 114...@ $36.00
#C98116S...for 116L...@ $36.00