My First Pro Gear

Started by Maxed Out, August 27, 2016, 09:12:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxed Out

Good afternoon ladies and gents.  ;D ;D

I've been secretly admiring the pro gear reels for a few years and finally decided to pull the trigger. I'm a total rookie when it comes to these reels, so opening it up will be an adventure, but from what I've seen & read about this 541 model, it has 113H gears and is basically a jigmaster magnum in disguise. I'm not expecting any surprises, mainly because it appears unused, so just routine maintenance on this one..... Any helpful pointers on this one would be appreciated.

Thanks, Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Bryan Young

Very nice Ted. Nothing special. It's straight forward. You'll have no problems, I'm sure.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Dominick

Come on Ted you know what you are doing.  You just wanted to show off a nice buy.  and it is a beauty.   :D ;D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

handi2

You would have to get a more rare blue one.

I have a bunch of these Ted. Mostly gold and one black. I have a couple still new in the box.

The black one has all the upgrades that you can put in them and I don't even use them anymore.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Alto Mare

Quote from: Dominick on August 27, 2016, 11:58:53 PM
Come on Ted you know what you are doing.  You just wanted to show off a nice buy.  and it is a beauty.   :D ;D Dominick
Knowing Ted a few years before I joined this great site, I'm going to agree with you Dominick.
Ted knows what he has and where he's going with it.

Ted, great looking reel! ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Maxed Out

Quote from: Alto Mare on August 28, 2016, 12:59:05 AM
Quote from: Dominick on August 27, 2016, 11:58:53 PM
Knowing Ted a few years before I joined this great site, I'm going to agree with you Dominick.
Ted knows what he has and where he's going with it.

Ted, great looking reel! ;)

Sal, I am not messing around. I've never laid my hands on a pro gear until recently when I bought 2 from a guy selling his dads reels. I've heard the blue ones are dime a dozen and common  ;) ;), same as silver................ and Dom says show it off, so here is the other one from same guy.  ;D ;D

Alto Mare

Ted, I've noticed you've been on a shopping spree lately, I need to see them all lined up at ones ;).
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Maxed Out

Quote from: Alto Mare on August 28, 2016, 02:58:28 AM
Ted, I've noticed you've been on a shopping spree lately, I need to see them all lined up at ones ;).

Sorry Sal, but my wide angle lens can't fit em all in when they're "lined up" down the hallway  ;D ;D

Alto Mare

Quote from: Maxed Out on August 28, 2016, 03:06:41 AM
Quote from: Alto Mare on August 28, 2016, 02:58:28 AM

Sorry Sal, but my wide angle lens can't fit em all in when they're "lined up" down the hallway  ;D ;D
I believe you ;D. I just keep enjoying them a little at a time.

steelhead_killer

Pro Gear vault door ajar... ::)

Andy
><)))">

Rancanfish

Those two are super sweet Ted.  Buy two double dog bridges, and two SS gear sleeves and you're set. Well, you will probably need the 5 stack Penn parts too.  That's if you are going to fish them.

Coincidentally,  I am working on one while I watch 'Batman vs Superman'.   Unfortunately,  I just realized Pro Gear eccentric parts (spring) are reverse of a 113h.  With no parts out there, I now have a 541 pile of parts.   
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Maxed Out

Quote from: Rancanfish on August 28, 2016, 03:49:46 AM
Those two are super sweet Ted.  Buy two double dog bridges, and two SS gear sleeves and you're set. Well, you will probably need the 5 stack Penn parts too.  That's if you are going to fish them.

Coincidentally,  I am working on one while I watch 'Batman vs Superman'.   Unfortunately,  I just realized Pro Gear eccentric parts (spring) are reverse of a 113h.  With no parts out there, I now have a 541 pile of parts.  

Randy, I believe a jigmaster spring is reverse of a 113H and should work

Rancanfish

Bless you Ted.  I was a bit disappointed until I checked one of my Jigmasters.

Thanks to RiverAngler Ralph's assistance yesterday (with my boat),  I was a little tired,  and a little sunburned.

Sent you a PM.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Maxed Out

Quote from: steelhead_killer on August 28, 2016, 03:20:15 AM
Pro Gear vault door ajar... ::)

Andy

Andy, you always make me laugh, and you may be right about the door ajar, soon to be "open the flood gates". ;D ;D

Ted

doradoben

Very nice, Ted. I have 4 Pro Gear reels , and like them a lot. You may want to consider installing 2 small rubber O-rings on the eccentric levers, so they don't mar the frames.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=10111.0