Old Boss 870 drag washers

Started by sinkerswim, March 22, 2011, 04:58:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinkerswim

Hi Guys,

Broke down an old Accurate Boss 870 (no letter designation) for grease and lube. This might be the very first model. Once removed, the drag washers were as smooth as glass and definitely needed replacement. Called accurate, Dawn doesn't do accurate, and ordered a pair. The order came yesterday, the washers sent by accurate, while matching the schematic #. Were a tad short, material wise . The inner diameter circle was now cut a full half inch larger than the ones that came out. I called accurate and they told me that is OK and these are what is being used now.

Puzzles me, you are sacrificing some surface area, quite a bit matter of fact. Wouldn't this greatly alter the drag's stopping power as well as the smoothness? As there would now be a smaller surface area for the titanium washer to apply pressure to. This one just defies logic in it's most basic form. I hope I'm missing something.

Does anybody know where I could get the correct sized washers, other than at accurate, who apparrently doesn't carry them any longer?

Thank You

alantani

i'm guessing a little here.  with the full amount of drag surface area, there might be enough drag generated to make the anti-reverse roller bearings fail.  i have those same drag washers in my reel, though.  check the drag with the reel back together.  you will probably find that they are fine!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

sinkerswim

Thank You Alan. Will put them in. I'll let you know how I make out. Maybe tomorrow, no can do tonight.

sinkerswim

Surprise! Surprise! Put the smaller greased washers in and low and behold the drag is smooth and fine. If I wanted I could button her down, with ease. I think the smaller drag will work out fine. Just want to get her on a spring scale, to see where it's at before I lose free. That will be sometime in the spring. Hey, go figure, less surface area appears to amount to the same results :o

I'd have to believe the folks at accurate checked this out long before they made the switch.

Well, that's a relief.

ReelSpeed

might have to do with where/how the pressure is applied to the drag plate.  I believe accurate (and other mfg's) design their drag plate to where the pressure slightly starts more on the outside (where all the surface area of the drag washer is) and at full drag would work its way in.   Since the pressure is coming from a spot in the middle of the drag plate, if the drag plate was perfectly flat, then there would be an uneven amount of pressure towards the middle where there is less surface area on the drag washer. I just bet that accurate found that the majority of the drag pressure was on the outside of the washer, leaving more material on the inside of the washer as a possible waste of material. 
Reelspeed Reel Service & Repair
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
(562) 261-5190