To Grease, or Not to Grease ? I've got a question...

Started by Mic, August 29, 2016, 03:51:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mic

Well,
It's raining again, so what better time to open a few old fishing reels. This past weekend I opened up, tore down, soaked and scrubbed, and reassembled 4 old Mitchell 300's. Fantastic old reels with a lot of grit and try for a long time. Weekend before last I tore down 5 Ambassduer reels and cleaned them up and rebuild. Another fine fishing reel with lots of life.

Now to my question (s).

In your expert or maybe not so much opinion. Should I be coating the inside mechanics of these old reels with just Reel X or Corrosion X as a lubricant and save the Cal's Grease for drag washers ?

I asking this as one of the Mitchells I tore down this weekend was an OLD Mitchell that had never been opened. The slide plate was brass. The wobble gear was cast, but not like the newer model Mitchell's. The mounted base plate on the inside was closed on one end and had a very narrow opening for the pin on the slide plate to attach to the piston rod. This was an old reel with no grease at all in it. Dried or otherwise. Just oil residue. It's worked great for my 10 year old son for about a year with no issues. Last time we went fishing he managed to coat it with about 6 coats of river bottom mud, so I felt the need to open it up and look it over or under.

After reassembling the old Mitchell with a light coating of Cal's, the reel was stiff. I opened it back up and made sure I didn't do something wrong, and I hadn't, but it was just more force had to be used to operate it after cleaning it up that what was required before the cleaning.

I'm thinking about taking it apart again and just coat it with Reel X on the inside ?

Something else crossed my mind this weekend. Have yawl seen those air brush kits at your local craft stores ? Kids use them to spray model paint on models. My kid uses his to spray model paint on every damn thing in the barn~! Anyway, do you think I might use one of air brush kits to spray Reel X on reel parts instead of using to dropper ? Seems like a good way to control where you want it and still provide the effect you want.

Just thinking out loud.

Well, thanks for any thoughts and advise you can give me~!

Mic

Long Enuff

I think Cals is too expensive and too tacky (stiff) to be packing inside reels for lubrication, especially in smaller reels.  That is why your reels feel stiff. I do believe the gears need a good dose of a lighter grease. I would use the Yamaha or Penn Blue grease and mix it with some corrosion X oil for a lighter consistency on the gears and internal moving parts.

mo65

I wouldn't think Cal's would be a good choice for smearing on the insides of a reel...I've seen a few mentions here about how a teflon based grease holds water. Corrosion X products come in spray cans...might be just what you're looking for. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Mic

Yep~!
You fellers are the Best~!

I was stumbling around and see a thread on CorrosionX HD. I think that's exactly what I'm looking for. I'm sure gonna get me some and tare that Mitchell down again. Hell I might tare down my dog and see if it won't keep the fleas off him~!

Seems like Corrosion is thinking through this stuff faster than I can.

If yawl look at the Lubricant Section on this board you should see the CorrosionX  HD thread. Good reading. I'm impressed enough to take a look at it first hand.

Thanks again for the input and help Fellers~!

Mic

alantani

people often ask what grease i use to scrub the inside of a reel, and honestly it's a combination greases left in the toothbrush from the last 20 reels that i worked on.  it's less important what grease you use, and more a matter of just using something, anything, to coat the inside.  nothing is worse than a dry spot in a reel used in the salt.  just get in and scrub.  you'll be fine!  
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

oc1

A little artist brush or flux brush is better at putting grease and oil exactly where you want it than a sprayer.  Probably better for your health too.
-steve

handi2

My old spinner I use on the dock was getting a bit stiff on me so I took the cover off and sprayed CorrosionX HD all inside. It's good to go for a few years now.

I've used it on new reels also.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL