Pulled my eye out.

Started by Rancanfish, August 29, 2016, 02:42:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rancanfish

Did the title grab your attention?   ;D

I have a group of four rods that are all the same model.  It's a bass rod with some single leg eyes.

I had an oops moment and snagged an eye when unloading the boat.  This resulted in the eye foot pulling straight out with no finish damage.

Can I just slide it back in the little tunnel with some kind of adhesive?  I mean obviously nothing stopping me, but would that be the right way?

Thanks...
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

thorhammer

Randy, you can probably slide it back in with a little five minute epoxy from HD or Lowes like Loctite or Devcon and be fine.  Make sure you get clear, and dab a little around gap between the foot and rod once you slip it back in. if you put too much and it sags you can lay it across your knees and hand rotate it; it will set in a few minutes and you will be good to go.

John 

alantani

done this before, tried super glue and epoxy.  it just never held.  best to replace the guide, but good luck finding someone to do that.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

mo65

I too tried superglue/epoxy...and it lasted three seasons...so I reckon it's an economical somewhat effective fix. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Steve-O

Super Glue is what I've used....and yes, it is temporary, IMO. CA and water don't play together long. So make sure it's dry before gluing.  Plus it's on the brittle side. However, you're fishing again in seconds... ;D

Check the repair regularly or do like Alan says.

philaroman

don't do the superglue -- it's acetone-based which is a no-no for rod blanks

steelfish

Quote from: Reel 224 on August 29, 2016, 07:55:09 PM
After replacing guides on dozens of older rods, I see no reason to not remove the old wrap and re-warp the guide and finish with epoxy. For 15 or 20 minutes of work that wold make the job like new.
Super glue is brittle and wont hold, you best bet wold be rod bond two part epoxy and with a tooth pick apply it to the guide foot and a little to the cavity were it was. That should hold better then glue.

Joe

Quote from: alantani on August 29, 2016, 04:45:02 PM
done this before, tried super glue and epoxy.  it just never held.  best to replace the guide, but good luck finding someone to do that.   :-\

completelly agree with these both gentlemen.

The Baja Guy

Newell Nut

If you were near Daytona Beach you could bring it over and I could rewrap it really easy for you.

RiverAngler

Randy, next time I'm over working on the boat I will take it with me and fix it. Remember, I have a wrapper.
Parents don't frame pictures of their kids playing video games. Take them fishing!

Rancanfish

Geez guys, you are all so kind.

Ralph I can't ask you to help me with one more thing until I get you on some salmon, lol.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

SoCalAngler

Around me it costs $10-15 to have a guide rewrapped (all my guides are triple wrapped). Now if you go with a high dollar guide that needs replacing I either supply one or get one almost at a wholesale cost from the wrapper.

RiverAngler

Quote from: Rancanfish on August 30, 2016, 01:37:34 AM
Geez guys, you are all so kind.

Ralph I can't ask you to help me with one more thing until I get you on some salmon, lol.

Don't worry about that. Just save the guide. Or take Joe's advice and use either U-40 Rod bond, or get a "repair size" 5 min rod epoxy from Mudhole.
Parents don't frame pictures of their kids playing video games. Take them fishing!

SoCalAngler

Quote from: Reel 224 on August 30, 2016, 03:23:52 AM
Quote from: SoCalAngler on August 30, 2016, 03:15:00 AM
Around me it costs $10-15 to have a guide rewrapped (all my guides are triple wrapped). Now if you go with a high dollar guide that needs replacing I either supply one or get one almost at a wholesale cost from the wrapper.

That's a cheep price. With a guide and repair wrap I charge $20 and up depending the grade guide.

Joe

This seems like a fare price with a less expensive guide like a Perfection guide that I have on several of my rods. But, like I said all my saltwater guides are triple wrapped so a wee bit more time and a little more material used.