Where do you store the Grease?

Started by MarcosG, August 31, 2016, 02:38:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcosG

"not a bad idea since it was already studied and done by the pro here, that mix is to thin the yamaha grease and put it on spinning reels or bearings(not really need to thin the grease, tho)

but what I intended to say is that you need to know a bit about the different greases and oils that you are using, some materials used to make syntetic greases and oils (which are really good) react in a bad way when they get in contact with natural based greases and oils, nothing to be aware of, as an example if you mix Cal grease and Yamaha grease which are two of the best greases for reel repair, you will simply wasted a portion of Cal grease cuz the new mix cant be used on drag washers anymore, and the new mix could be also too sticky and tacky to put it on bearings, this example is the reason I used different brushes for each grease"

Thanks for the explanation and directions.

"but sometimes Im too anal with my reels LOL."

So am I  ;D

johndtuttle

Quote from: MarcosG on September 02, 2016, 01:50:55 PM

Sorry to stray away from the topic but I've seen folks here mixing CorrosionX with Yamaha Grease. Is that a bad idea?

The general prohibition against mixing greases is just that they commonly have different bases. A silicon based grease will not mix well with an oil based one or a drag grease shouldn't be mixed with a general bearing grease and then used in the drag (but will not likely have and deleterious effects on other parts of the reel).

Corrosion-X oil is commonly used to mix with greases that are too heavy for a given application. It can be mixed with Cal's (Accurate does this for their clutches) or with Yamaha or any other petroleum based grease to thin it as needed.