1932 - 1940 Penns, I think someone got a great deal!

Started by George4741, September 01, 2016, 02:43:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George4741

Someone won this auction for nine old Penns for $482.72.  I thought the bidding would go into four figures and I was working at the time bidding ended anyway, so I didn't bother.  I wonder if it went to one of our forum members?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/9-Old-Penn-Reel-1932-To-1940-/112104594073?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=cCHIeCW7I%252FVYyngBFYrs%252BCqpxqE%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Anyone have thoughts on this?

Regards,
George
viurem lliures o morirem

Swami805

I saw it when it was at 200. It was hard to tell what exactly was there. Not great pictures either. Could have been good though
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Tightlines667

Looks like a good bunch of reels there.  May have gone just a little under what the market value has been.  3 of those reels should have fetched 75%+ of what they went for in my opinion.  You kinda need to look at them individually, to get a good idea of what the package is worth.  W8thout real good photos of each reel, the buyer takes a bit of a gamble.  The seller would likely have done better selling them individually.  Still, I like those brown plate, waffle clicker, and early trade reels.. despite the blemishes.  I may have taken a stable, if I was in the market. 
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

mo65

I tried not to look at that one...I have a hard time walking away from one project on the bench...all those at once would make my head hurt. :D
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Penn Chronology

When I see a lot like this, I need to see one key reel in the bunch that makes the deal worth while. I did not see that key reel here. I am surprised it brought what it brought.

sdlehr

6 of 9 have picture plates, and they're all the same design....

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Dominick

Roughly $53.00 a reel.  Someone did not get a good deal.  This might have been one of those phony bids.  You know, a guy wants the reels but does not think there will be a lot of action so he bids $500.  Then the seller tests the bids by getting someone to keep bidding until the seller thinks he has gone high enough.  There are a lot of scammers out there, be careful.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

George4741

I thought the auction would go a little higher, based on my recent observations of eBay.  I've seen winning bids run the gamut, from ridiculously low to what I consider astronomically high.  It's interesting to see your comments, as they vary as much as the bids/wins in the last two months.  Here is a sample of the recent activity on eBay:

Anglesea         $10.50  ???
Bayside             250 (seller listed it as a "Wayside")
Bridge City        117
Coronado          101
1933 Kingfisher  42
    "                  63
    "                  202
33 Long Beach   76
    "                  167
Long Beach 61   189
    "                  204
    "                  225
Ocean Side        1825 (the infamous knucklebuster)
Sea Ford           39
1933 Seahawk   215
12/0 Senator     300 (vintage NIB)  

I'm not taking into account condition or rarity, although few were in pristine shape, just that they are old, older than me ;D with the exception of the 12/0.  This list doesn't include the four-figure F and K models that apparently no one bid on. :o  

Enjoy,
George      
viurem lliures o morirem

Shark Hunter

Wow George!
You have been doing some serious trolling. ;)
Life is Good!

George4741

Is it that obvious? :o  I must have too much free time on my hands. ::)
viurem lliures o morirem

Shark Hunter

I looked at that auction before it was over. Like Mike, I saw no crown jewel in there.
I have nowhere near the expertise or knowledge of you guys on the constant troll for these old fossils.
I did However get another 16/0 for $550 out the door yesterday. ;D
Life is Good!

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Penn Chronology

Penn Chronology

There were problems with almost all the reels in this auction. The old 1933 Long Beach had the wrong handle on it. The other Long Beach models were all Model 60's or 65's well worn and common. The 1933 Kingfisher was very worn, no telling if it was original or not. One of the 1933 models had a broken collar (the Kingfisher Trade reel, I think). I did like one of the 1933 tail plates with the old round Ocean City style clicker button.  Nothing too special here.

The Bayside was a late model, 1939 or 40 with the wrong handle on it. No telling what was inside.

Both Bridge City reels were parts reels. They both had the wrong tail plates, wrong and / or broken handles. 

The seller did very well.... IMHO