International II 30TW rebuild

Started by ReelFishingProblems, September 01, 2016, 06:04:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReelFishingProblems

Greetings all,

I bought a 30TW online for cheap, mainly because the frame and side plates are badly corroded. I took a chance and bought it anyways since the seller said it was in good working shape. I thought this would be a good way to get into an International.

Above is the reel disassembled

Here is the handle side plate, corroded on the outside, inside and sides

The non-handle side plate is not as badly corroded but it is still scratched heavily.

Here is the frame, also badly corroded.

Here are both sides of the spool, drag washer, drag plate

And here is the sad, broken, and bent handle.

So aside from showing that I know how to disassemble things, my question is this. Aside from cosmetics on this reel, and the obvious need for a handle, do you see anything in this reel that makes it not worth fishing with? (I still need to drill out the broken screw for the quadrant ring)

My plan is to get a new handle, add lube, and use it (for fishing), and as I come across lightly used, or generously priced new frame and side plates, to replace the corroded ones.

As always, your input and advice is greatly appreciated.

Nick,
Monterey, CA

thorhammer

The 30 tw and stw are, as far as I'm concerned, the most versatile day to day offshore trollers where I'm at in NC. We run six in our spread for outrigger and dinks. 

Glad you got your hands on this; breaks my heart to see such fine pieces treated like an empty beer can. I nabbed an 80 similarly a few months ago.  You'd think a guy that was possessive enough to write his name in axe murderer script on both side plates with a dremel would have taken more care...

You should absolutely get a handle, grease the crap out of it and give the old girl another shot on the fish. FYI 113h handle should fit that sleeve and can be had on flea bay for less than half of s new 30 crank which would not look right anyway. Note: if you order a 30 crank make sure you order to fit that reel. The new 30 vsx handles I have are too large for 30tw gear sleeves. 

John

Robert Janssen

That is an old Smoooooth Drag drag washer, from back in the day.

Tightlines667

The reel should still fish, but I would make sure to replace any bearings that exhibit roughness, ensure that the drive shaft retaining sleeve is not working itself loose in the bridge, and check that the cam pocket is firm.  I would replace the Belleville washers as well.  That drag should work fine dry. 

Finding better quality plates, bridge, frame, and spool to replace the corroded ones will be cost prohibitive. 

The great thing about these reels is that they will continue to function despite excessive wear, and corrosion.  Probably why many people neglect to service them regularly.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

handi2

Yep it will work just fine. I used them for years before upgrading 5 years ago.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Indyfisher

I've been eyeballing a 50tw on that auction site for a while now. I'm scared to commit because it looks to be in this same conditioning if not a little worse. I know replacement parts are not cheap and don't want to spend more on parts than the reel is worth.

Indyfisher

Quote from: thorhammer on September 01, 2016, 06:18:16 PM
The 30 tw and stw are, as far as I'm concerned, the most versatile day to day offshore trollers where I'm at in NC. We run six in our spread for outrigger and dinks. 

Glad you got your hands on this; breaks my heart to see such fine pieces treated like an empty beer can. I nabbed an 80 similarly a few months ago.  You'd think a guy that was possessive enough to write his name in axe murderer script on both side plates with a dremel would have taken more care...

You should absolutely get a handle, grease the crap out of it and give the old girl another shot on the fish. FYI 113h handle should fit that sleeve and can be had on flea bay for less than half of s new 30 crank which would not look right anyway. Note: if you order a 30 crank make sure you order to fit that reel. The new 30 vsx handles I have are too large for 30tw gear sleeves. 

John
Isn't it funny that most of the reels with names "chiseled" in them seem the most neglected?

ReelFishingProblems

Quote from: Indyfisher on November 20, 2016, 06:32:26 PM
I've been eyeballing a 50tw on that auction site for a while now. I'm scared to commit because it looks to be in this same conditioning if not a little worse. I know replacement parts are not cheap and don't want to spend more on parts than the reel is worth.
I know which one you're looking at. I'm too scared to bid on it for what might be inside. Maybe a message for a lower price could work knowing it may need new guts.

Indyfisher

;) That's what concerns me. Knowing the outside is that bad what does it look like under the hood?

ReelFishingProblems

That reel needs someone to breathe new life into it.

UKChris

Hi RFP,
That 30TW of yours actually makes the one I bought look pretty good  ;D
Thankfully the insides were fine and nothing needed replacing, just a proper cleaning and greasing. But the outside looked so bad I painted the black and corroded bits with gold enamel paint (after a thorough de-salting). It ain't great but it is better than before. Works a treat though.

ReelFishingProblems

So my 30TW has slowly been worked on to make it a decent reel.
Upgraded the drag to CF, replaced the bearings and put in a bearing spacer.
Then I got a right side plate.
Got a nice frame and spool, and with Alan's help, a great left-side plate
Put on a handle that was from a reel I got from Sheridan and now it looks like an entirely different reel. Mainly because it is. It was more expensive than buying one in good shape to begin with, but how would I have learned half as much of I did that.

Thanks for the journey! It's been reel educational

Nick

thorhammer

That is one of my favorite reels period.

ReelFishingProblems

Maybe I'll get lucky trolling for king mackerel with it before i PCS from Tampa!

cwillis85

So we will have an old everol hanging off my side of the boat and an old international off your side. Knowing our luck they will both snag the bottom just fine. Possibly snag a fish along the way, stranger things have happened.

By the way, garage has a down payment on it, step one for mission: floats my boat, is under way.
Chris