ts301 spool bearing questions

Started by sinkerswim, March 22, 2011, 08:20:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinkerswim

Just received my can of 301. Really loving the time trial results Alan has had thus far so plunked down the cash. The longevity is intriguing. This can will last me a lifetime, will probably divide up with two or three other guys. And, still last a lifetime. Alan only chooses to use it on spool bearings and level wind worm gears. I wouldn't go beyond that meself, as I don't want to mess with success.

Spool bearings. I just rec'd a pair shipped dry by Dawn @ smooth drag. They have the removable shields. My question is can I dunk the bearings as is with the shields on, then dry them and pop them in? Not looking for crazy freespool, for casting. Just looking for reasonable smoothness, reasonable distance and reliability.

If so, can I routine oil, as needed, in place or should they come completely out, remove shields, brakleen, compressed air dry, then dunk, dry and replace the shields, put back in?

Or in all circumstances, ALWAYS INSTALL OPEN?

This query runs the risk of me being chided by the master. But, hey I'm curious. If he says run them open, then open it shall be. It's just that the metal adhering, dirt ,grime repeling and anti-corrosive capabilities of this stuff is amazing. Really gets my mind a wandering.

I anxiously await your input folks.

Thanks!

alantani

for fresh water reels, shielded is ok.  for salt, i really believe open gives you your best longevity!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

sinkerswim

Got it! This is for the salt. So, open it shall be.

Thank You Alan!

Nessie Hunter

For the last year or so, I have been removing only one Shield.   
Seems to be working as well as two open..
In some cases, (non replaceable shields) less chance of damage to bearing while removing.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

JGB

When using TSI 301 it is not necessary to dry it out. The carrier is aromatic solvent of some type that evaporates and leaves behind a thin layer of 321 (the pure form). The ratio is around 10:1 (solvent to 321). Lately I have be applying 321 directly to the bearings and reassembling. It tends to spread it's self out in a thin layer over time and coats the inside and outside of the entire bearing.

FYI - Keep in mind to keep the 301 away from painted surfaces and plastics. The solvent was formulated to dissolve and release deposits in rifle bores. also keep TSI 301 in a closed container as it will evaporate over time.

Jim N.

sinkerswim

Jim,

Is the plastic problem only when the 301 is in a liquid state? Or does that always apply?           

Luder

Quote from: sinkerswim on March 22, 2011, 08:20:37 PM
If so, can I routine oil, as needed, in place or should they come completely out, remove shields, brakleen, compressed air dry, then dunk, dry and replace the shields, put back in?

I just ordered some TSI301 myself and was wondering if cleaning the bearings with carb cleaner is still a necessary step.  Isn't TSI301 a cleaner, lubricant and protectant all in one?  Of course I'm referring to previously used bearings, not brand new ones.

JGB

Yes the bearing need to be cleaned out to get the best from TSI. Bearings will accumulate all kinds of junk including, salt cystals, hardened grease, dust, metal particles. When you lube with TSI you will notice any junk in the bearings as noise or hitches. If you leave the grease on the TSI must have chance to migrate under the grease and the grease will slide off the metal surfaces. The grease will not dissolve so it will remain in the bearings as chunks of grease.

Here is a tip on TSI for open spool bearings. Install the Spool bearing last to prevent contamination from drag dust and such. The last thing you do is lube them with TSI. If you dip then blow them out after dipping and add 1 drop at the end. This applies for both TSI 301 and 321.

Jim N.