Hybrid Spinner

Started by Newell Nut, September 02, 2016, 06:56:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

Just tested my hybrid spinner and it performed beautifully. Cast light weights like a dream and cast a 1oz weight a very long way. I also lifted a 16 oz water bottle with it. Well, what is this thing? Some people like light fishing but don't care for all the line management necessary for fly fishing so I developed a remedy.

I used a Rainshadow 9' 2 piece 10wt fly rod blank, did a split grip and used light Alps spinning guides. Total weight built is 5 3/4 oz. The blank is designed for heavy saltwater fly fishing so it is tough but you just don't high stick with it or lift a heavy fish up. Made for fighting with the ease of a light weight spinner. I put a 360 slammer on it for test and it felt perfectly balanced.

Out of the box thinking can create some cool things. This rod would be great for crappie and blue gills as well.

Dwight

thorhammer

Nice, Dwight! Let's see it !!! If I have to take one spinner anywhere, it's my 360. caught everything from bass to bailing mahi on it.

steelfish

cool,
please post pics I will take some ideas from it, I currently have a fly rod that I would like to change to a UL salwater use for my kids.

its a cheap one but according for what I read it worth the hassle, its an Eagle Claw Black eagle II  8.6ft 5wt, just need a different reel seat and few guides changed.

The Baja Guy

pjstevko

so it's a 9' spinning rod right?

mo65

Sounds cool! I'd like to see it too. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Makule

I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Newell Nut

Quote from: Makule on September 02, 2016, 10:28:04 PM
What's a hybrid spinner?

Call it a Frankenspinner if you want. If I could get pics out of my phone I could post them. Me and the smart phone do not work well together.

bluefish69

Maybe the phone is trying to tell you something. I must have it's cousin here.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Newell Nut

OK guys, the pics are in my first post now.

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

steelfish

The Baja Guy

Newell Nut

Thanks, one really cool thing is the bass lake on the other side of the tee box where I just walk out and test all of my experimental fresh water builds and long cast rods. Association rules bug me a bit since I was raised on a farm and a very outdoors person but it does have its peacefulness, low maintenance and secure gated community and close to the fishing boats. ;D

pjstevko

Looks awesome.  I bet it'd be a lot of fun on smaller redfish,  trout,  snook and tarpon.

Newell Nut

That is what is designed to catch on a fly reel. Has a great feel too it.

Ron Jones

So, it is basically a short spey rod with spinning guides all the way up. I like it.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"