How to remove drag cam screw on the Maxel reels?

Started by Jon_Kol, September 03, 2016, 07:33:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon_Kol

It's all a bit embarrasing, but how do you guys remove the screw which secures the drag cam on Maxel reels? I had a reel in for service on a short notice, but to be honest, I couldn't figure out how to get that screw loose so I deared not mess more with the reel as it was to be returned to the owner just days later.

Having read about the JM vs Maxel stuff here, plus seen a few of the JM tutorials - am I right when I state that to make the screw come loose, one has to first tighten the drag pretty much and/or push the lever to Strike??

jonnou

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=11401.msg110212#msg110212

There is a description on my post here. It was a long time ago But i think it took a bit of umph

Jon_Kol

Quote from: jonnou on September 03, 2016, 01:39:32 PM
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=11401.msg110212#msg110212

There is a description on my post here. It was a long time ago But i think it took a bit of umph

Great, thanks! It was not quite as I had pictured it, thanks a lot for posting that link. I'll probably have to give that reel a second try following that tutorial.

hafnor

Jon - This is the same setup as JM reels. Either tighten the drag so the handle doesn`t turn while you unscrew the cam screw. Or safest way: remove the main body and use wise-grips on the opposite end of the spool shaft to hold it firm, while you unscrew the cam screw.

Jon_Kol

Quote from: hafnor on September 07, 2016, 11:30:24 AM
Jon - This is the same setup as JM reels. Either tighten the drag so the handle doesn`t turn while you unscrew the cam screw. Or safest way: remove the main body and use wise-grips on the opposite end of the spool shaft to hold it firm, while you unscrew the cam screw.

Never had a JM reel on my table, this was a first when it comes to Maxell as well. Thanks for the input, I'll give it a try.