320 GTI

Started by Fishy247, September 03, 2016, 02:52:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishy247

I'm working on a couple of GTIs that have the same problem. The levelwind keeps getting stuck on either side. I've tried shimming the pawl and that worked for a minute on one of them, but the problem returned. How can I tell if the pawl and/or worm is worn to the point of needing replacement? I can't really see much wear on the worm and the pawls always look worn to me unless they are brand new....

mo65

Quote from: Fishy247 on September 03, 2016, 02:52:04 PM
The levelwind keeps getting stuck on either side.

Believe it or not...I've had several levelwinds(not just Penns) that did this...and adjusting the grooved top post usually fixes this. If the post is putting too much pressure on the line guide it will hang up in the corners.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Fishy247

It still gets stuck when upside down. When you say check for play in the worm, do you mean side to side or play between the pawl and worm?

Fishy247

The GTI just has the top of the levelwind bent over the top guide, if I'm following you correctly. The action is quite smooth with no hangups, as far as reeling goes. Once it gets to either side, it just stays to that side and won't return in the other direction.

mo65

Quote from: Fishy247 on September 03, 2016, 03:47:45 PM
The GTI just has the top of the levelwind bent over the top guide.

Ahh...I see...just checked a schematic. What I was referring to was a slotted top post...irrelevant here. The only other thing it could be is a worn pawl. Check your shimming again...maybe shim a little higher.

Fishy247

I just said the heck with it....I just ordered a couple of new pawls and worms from Scott's. These are for my buddy's charter boat and he needs them done sooner rather than later. I'll try changing the pawls first and see if that is the problem. I'll post here and let you know if that solves it. Thanks for all the info gentlemen!
Mike

Fishy247

Yeah, thanks Joe. There's a little bit of play as far as the line guide goes, but not much on the worm itself.

Fishy247

That's what I was thinking too

Bill B

My 310 was doing the same thing, I replaced both the worm shaft and pawl, problem solved.....quite often if the pawl is worn then the shaft will be also.....let us know how it works out.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

akfish

I always replace  both the worm and the pawl when there are level wind problems. I think the worm is softer metal than the pawl so it seems to go out at least as often as the pawl. Level wind problems with the GTi/GT2 series are common: As I tell my customers, "I make a living fixing Penn level winds."
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

oc1

The line guide carriage (the block that the wire guide is attached to) can be worn from riding on the worm.  When the inside of the carriage is worn then it and the wire can rock side to side.  When it rocks side to side it can rub on the line guide post and bind.  When it binds it can prematurely wear out the pawl.  When the pawl wears out it can prematurely wear out the worm.  If the worm gets a burr it can wear out the guide carriage. 

Vicious circle.  I seem to wear out more carriages than worms.
-steve

Fishy247

I finally found the time to work on these things...I started on both reels by replacing the pawl. On the first one, I got lucky and that did the trick. The second one, I still had the same problem, but not nearly as pronounced, so I replaced the worm and that did the trick. Crisis averted! Lol...Thanks again for the suggestions and advice gentlemen!

Mike

foakes

Typical assumption on my part -- before servicing and restoring a Penn LW (9,209, 309, GTIs, and others) is that I will be doing a full break down, cleaning, lube, and reassembly -- at a minimum, parts that will be replaced will be the pawl, worm, under gear washer with delrin, new greased CFs, plus occasionally the nylon idler gear and possibly the line guide.

The fellows around here use these either in the salt, or the high country reservoirs and lakes for lead core trolling.  So the LW mechanisms get a good stress workout.

Learned many years ago not to take my visual examination as the last verdict.

The client only wants the reel to work properly on their next trips -- they do not care if you saved them a few dollars by not replacing a pawl or a worm drive gear -- and it will just come back to the bench causing a unhappy client -- and an embarrassment to me. 

They do not need to understand everything about a reel -- that is why they bring them to us.

And, generally, the part I used to think would be OK for awhile -- would be the part that would go out first after service -- weak link deal...

So it all gets replaced, or I do not accept the job -- no use doing it, unless it is done right.

Just my way of operating.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

Quote from: Fishy247 on September 03, 2016, 04:19:47 PM
These are for my buddy's charter boat and he needs them done sooner rather than later.

I see...no sense fiddling around then...LOL! I love fixing my personal reels by not spending much money, but as Fred said, for a paying customer it's best to make sure it's done right the first time. 8)

Fishy247

Excellent philosophy Fred! I just started working on GTIs, so I'm learning as I go. Personally, I hate levelwinds, except for baitcasters, which have their place, for this exact reason. Just one more thing to go wrong! These particular reels are used as rental gear on a 6-pack that RARELY gets anyone that knows how to fish, and he primarily trolls for salmon or fishes rockfish in less than 180 feet of water.

Working on reels does help keep me occupied during the slow times at work though!