Why has Okuma cheapened up their convector series?

Started by pickles, March 23, 2011, 02:16:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pickles

>:(

After reading Alan's review on the Convector cv-30, I decided to purchase the little brother the CV-20.  When I opened the reel up I noticed Okuma replaced the stainless steel hold plate with a cheap piece of plastic.  When pressure is put on the spool, the plastic hold plate flex's allowing the gears to loose alignment and become very noisy!  All I can say, is I am not impressed!

alantani

never seen one.  just off the cuff, plastic is not good. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

reelman-nz

hi,  i had to service a cv55l the other day and also noticed this i think it is a really bad idea from okuma. i am going to see if its possible to put the original hold plate into these new models.will let you all know the outcome over the next few days as im off work today painting .. i hate painting......

Jimmer

The plastic is incredibly thin around the A.R. dog post boss. Bought a 55l off ebay that had blown out the plasic hold plate at the A.R. dog pin, then trashed the A.R. roller bearing on the handle shaft. Good news - the S.S. hold plate from the old reel will fit the new ones. Bad news - I think Okuma is using the plastic hold plate in almost all their new star drags, a real shame.
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

Jimmer

The newer reels also use a smaller A.r. bearing. You have to talk to someone at okuma to get the old style plate, sometimes okuma changes a part and uses the same part #.
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

Jim

I don't want to be Mr Negativity here, but this sort of thing is VERY common in Chinese manufacturing.
If someone isn't watching, cost cutting measures, authorized or not, can begin to creep in.
Profit margins are paper thin and the temptation is so great . . .

Good luck with your reel, hopefully you can get some resolution.

alantani

john bretza of okuma usa fights that battle every day.........

pounder21366

Anyone know who to contact about resolving this issue. A buddy who owns a tackle shop just got some of the Convectors in on my recommendation. I would like to help him make these reels how they should be before he sells them. Contact number? What parts, and numbers? Can the bigger roller bearings be installed? Help please! Chuck.

alantani

Okuma Fishing Tackle 2310 E. Locust Court, Ontario, California 91761 (909)-923-2828

pounder21366

Thanks Alan, my buddies problem is his rep at Okuma won't return his calls. When he first talked to him about this issue, the rep said he would check into it, but didn't think Okuma would do anything about it unless there was a problem. He hasn't heard back from the rep since. I think there already is a problem, but that's just me. Such a shame when Okuma was on there way to building up a good reputation with the newer lever drags. Later, Chuck

Bryan Young

Try calling Okuma directly.  I believe Dan is in charge of the servicing department.  He has always been very helpful.  You may not get what you want, but you will get an answer from Dan.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

pounder21366

Quote from: Bryan Young on April 06, 2011, 07:05:22 PM
Try calling Okuma directly.  I believe Dan is in charge of the servicing department.  He has always been very helpful.  You may not get what you want, but you will get an answer from Dan.

Can Dan be reached by the number Alan posted?

boghy

Quote from: pounder21366 on April 06, 2011, 12:38:28 PM
Thanks Alan, my buddies problem is his rep at Okuma won't return his calls. When he first talked to him about this issue, the rep said he would check into it, but didn't think Okuma would do anything about it unless there was a problem. He hasn't heard back from the rep since. I think there already is a problem, but that's just me. Such a shame when Okuma was on there way to building up a good reputation with the newer lever drags. Later, Chuck
Welcome in the Okuma's Waiting Club - when i call them up regarding my Okuma Cavalla 50w clicker gear to complain about the cheap plastic that was made of - the rep told me that the only way for me to find out if this will gonna be changed is by doing research on the web. At least he told me directly not to expect any phone call from him or someone else. So, i decided to start posting about my problem. Recently i start seeing posts related to other issues on different types of reels from Okuma.
I'm hoping that they'll gonna finally listen to they customers and make thous changes based on customer complains.
It would be a win-win situation for everyone!
Don't like my post? Click on the banner below and call me!

Try my self-coded Line Calculator - for line conversions and topshot