The Shakespeare Sportcast

Started by mo65, September 05, 2016, 08:10:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

My Dad is 73 now...and gets around better than I do! He came in from the auction barn last week(he goes to 3 auctions a week) grinning from ear to ear, toting a little old time suitcase. I says "Watcha got Pop?" He says "I gave $4 fer it so I don't think I got hurt too bad...open 'er up...and you tell me." ??? ::) :D

Hmm...wonder what's in this crusty old box?

Cool! Some nice old vintage bobbers, a couple Hofscheider Red Eye musky spoons, and an assortment of old reels. That Shakespeare with the "drag in the handle" in the center is the one we're gonna take a closer look at.

Taking it apart revealed the single drag washer, cheap nylon gears, and a really cool push button freespool control. Not a reel I'd feel comfortable fishing, but some interesting mechanics!

Check it out Steve(oc1), this one has a steel bearing shim, it's hanging onto that magnetic screwdriver.

Bent handles are a common sight on these little reels. Note the knob on the left...twisted upward.

Here's an easy fix for this problem. Crescent wrenches grip the handle nicely without scratching or gouging the chrome. Just give it a tweak...

That looks better!

I thought it had a plastic spool to match these gears...darned old thing was aluminum! :D

Cleaned up and lubed...let's slap 'er back together.

Now that's a neat little dust collector...thanks Pop!

If it wasn't for that one boogered up spot on top...this reel would be spotless. I really like it anyway. 8)

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

RowdyW

It doesn't have to be a Penn to have fun.  :D

The Great Maudu

Very interesting and a well done post!

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

bluefish69

Mo

What's the number on that reel

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

mo65

bluefish69

I have 2-1935  model - EJ     -- They do look the same

1 is OK & the other could be used for parts

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

oc1

That's a nice looking reel.... to my eye.

Mo, I've been doing as you suggested and putting shims under the spool bearing knob .  It seems like the spool shaft wears down when the reel gets old so the knob bottoms out on the side plate before it can put enough tension on the spool.  I tried putting a little piece of red rubber gasket material under a brass shim so it would have more cushion and give finer control, but the spool shaft just drilled through it.

The EJ model is from 1962.  The Shakespeare date code chart is several places on the web, including here:
http://www.fishingtalks.com/shakespeare-reel-date-codes-785.html

Those big red-eye musky lures sort of go with the Sportcast.  

Looks like you might have a Pflueger Akron and Shakespeare Ideal in there too.  But, what is that blue reel?  Is there a name on it?
-steve

hurt locker

mo65

Quote from: oc1 on September 08, 2016, 12:02:54 PM
Looks like you might have a Pflueger Akron and Shakespeare Ideal in there too.  But, what is that blue reel?  Is there a name on it?
-steve

Yes, there's some of an Akron there...and the blue reel is a no-name. The other Shakespeare is a Triumph. I rummaged through my parts and found a handle for it. Gave it a bath...it looks really nice now...as can be seen in the photo below. I'm giving this box load to my brother, he's more of a collector of this kind of stuff. After all...Dad gave it to me...I might as well pass it on. 8)

mike1010

Huh.  That Shakespeare has a strong family resemblance to this Pflueger:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=15482.0

Mike

mo65

Quote from: mike1010 on September 08, 2016, 03:54:33 PM
Huh.  That Shakespeare has a strong family resemblance to this Pflueger:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=15482.0

Mike

I like that 1576 Supreme...need to add one of those to my collection. I suspect there are many of these early drag designs, it seems every manufacturer had a few. One of my favorites was Pflueger's Cub handle that could add a "drag clutch" to about any old Pflueger knuckle buster. Here's my 1573 Supreme with the Cub handle.(a bit older than your 1576) Also a look at my favorite Supreme, a NIB early 90's model, the Cadillac of Curados! 8)

foakes

You are doing some really nice restoration on those old baitcasters, Mo.

Excellent work.

If you ever need any old Shakes parts -- I might have what you need, if we are lucky enough.

Got about 80 pounds of old Shakespeare parts for the vintage baitcasters about 20 years ago from a shop where the owner had passed on many years prior.

There is little market for any of these -- even though they are new old stock from a couple of generations ago, and probably not available anywhere else in the world.

So if you might be able to use something, I can send it out at N/C.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

Quote from: foakes on September 09, 2016, 01:04:42 AM
If you ever need any old Shakes parts -- I might have what you need, if we are lucky enough.

Thanks Fred. I believe I could sit in your shop all day...just drinking coffee and listening...and learning. If I ever get into trouble finding a part I'll shoot you a message. Also Thanks to everyone for the compliments.

Rancanfish

Visiting Fred's shop would be like the Penn factory visit,  only a bunch more brands to ponder.

I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.