A few Oahu's Fishing Supplies

Started by Bryan Young, March 23, 2011, 02:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MFB

No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

Bryan Young

Quote from: Newell Nut on January 06, 2014, 03:50:20 PM
I noticed Hobbietat had some Newell 600 bridge plates on the wall and some of the smaller ones. I can't imagine breaking a 600 bridge.
That was at Brian's Fishing Supply.  Other than Storm (Peesherman), he probably has the most Newell Parts available in the islands...and they are very limited.  I think he will only sell parts if the reel comes in for servicing to prevent people from stocking up and making the parts available for anyone who really needs them.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Tightlines667

To add to Brian's list...

Hana Pa'a located at 1733 Dillingham Blvd.  in Kalihi is probably one of the best local shops for freedive gear and they probably have the most extensive stock of reel parts for larger Penn and Shimano reels.  I stopped by today to pick up a few parts for a customer's 9/0 earlier today, and thought I'd share a few pics.
Phone:(808)848-5640, Website: http://www.hanapaafishing.com. They also have a second satellite location at the PearlRidge Shopping center.

Hope springs eternal

Tightlines667

More pics.
Hope springs eternal

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal

Tightlines667

And a few of the Free Diving shop upstairs...
Hope springs eternal

Shark Hunter

Nice!
Keep it up guys, and my next vacation will be there! ;) What is that Behemoth of a reel in the bottom right of that case? I also spot a couple Big Everols in that third pic. Some really High Class tackle shops in Hawaii.
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

Daron,
I think it may be a Templar 14/0 (or possibly a 16/0?) based on harness lug style.  I'll PM you sum pics of the best of the 4-14/0s I've got now when I get the time to crack em open.  These reels appear to be in great condition but were diffinately used some, unlike the Dom's reel which appeared to have been in largely unused condition.
Hope springs eternal

Shark Hunter

Here is my best 4. 2 Chrome spools and 2 Aluminum. The one in the Center was Sal's. It has a ss Sleeve and double dogs. The one on the right is brand New. I also have Keta Krank's for all 4. 16/0 up front. ;)
Life is Good!

Ron Jones

McCulley's is the coolest place on Earth. The only thing missing is guns! Where else can you find a $8,000.00 bicycle next to a Nitro slide rod? When my wife can't find me at the office and I tell her we went to the strip club, I mean McCulleys. They also have a fantastic bike repair shop with unbelievably reasonable rates. My current beach fishing bike was put together by them.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Shark Hunter

Fishing Bike? What you talkin' bout Ron? ;)
Life is Good!

Bryan Young

Ron, you go all the way to McCully?  Why not go to Buster's (Waipahu Bike).  Same company.  Buster (the father) ran the Waipahu store and the son (his name escapes me at the moment) ran the McCully store.  I used to wrapped ulua rods for Buster years back...and he would not let me drop them off at McCully.  He had to inspect each one then he dropped them off at McCully.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

locknut

Tackle stores in Hawaii are the bomb. Traveling from NZ to Oahu  and the Big Island always involved expensive trips to the local stores. My wife bought me my first custom Ahi lures in the little shop not sure if its still there behind the Ala moana shopping centre. I used to rent a push bike and ride up to Hobbietat and talk story with Butch. Have Japanese at the little store just up the road. Then POP was mandatory as well a visit to see Sonny Artia (now passed away) and Roys. When on the big Island Pacific Rim, Kona Tackle (now closed) Melton's (closed) J Harra Store and visiting with the local lure makers Randy Llanes  and Kerwin Matsunaga. Ah the memories, you guys are so lucky with the stores you have and the local characters.

Ron Jones

Bryan,
I go to McCullys from work in Pearl. It is right down the road.
Daron,
The only problem with fishing from a bike is carrying large fish home. That is rarely an issue on Oahu. Otherwise you can carry a good bit of gear down to the surf and keep it right next to you so everyone stays "friendly".
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"