looking for Alternatives for mixing cups and mixing sticks

Started by steelfish, September 07, 2016, 12:25:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

me agains guys with this odd questions  ;D

locally is really hard (impossible) to buy mixing cups free of silicone as well as those plastic solid sticks that you get on the rod building stores, I normally have to order everything online, but I hate to wait 3-4 weeks to get it (in worst cases more and in best cases 2 weeks).

so Im looking for alternatives of the mixing cups, I just have one left and 1 mixing stick, I bought the "start up kit" and currently running out of those materials.

I know you normally only use proper rod building materials but have you ever hear about alternatives that I can use while getting a new shipment of epoxy, with cups and mixing sticks?
this time I will order 100 cups and same of sticks, I already have 50 disposable cheap brushes from wally world

The Baja Guy

reelrepair123

i used plastic shot cups, and the opposite end of the brush to mix.  party city had the cups.  i would let the two parts of mixture sit overnight,  all the stuff around the sides of the cup  settles down and if you have to add a bit you can, this way gives you a  excellent chance of a great mix that will harden properly.    harryk

Shark Hunter

I use epoxy around the house every now and then Alex. My wife broke her glasses this weekend. I fixed them with some devcon epoxy and a popsicle stick. I put the epoxy on a catalog and went to town.
It was a delicate repair, the kind of spectacles that are only held on by a thin wire. No frame.
Popsicle sticks and cheap waxed paper bathroom cups for the majority of repairs. Or like Harry uses, the party cups for shots.
I had to push a few reels aside to allow for room on the kitchen table. ;)
Life is Good!

thorhammer

hey Alex, never used anything but popsicle sticks and mouthwash cups on about a hundred builds. Lemme know if you need some; I grab enough brushes, cups and sticks at Walmart for ten bucks to do 15 rods.

Swami805

I use the little cups you put salsa in for take out from mexican resturants. There short and kind of squatty so the fix isn't to deep to let the bubbles out. Free too. I usually use the foil ones from voodo rods but when I run out those work fine. The other end of the brush for stirring.
Good luck! Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Bryan Young

Glass shot glasses works well. You can peel off if it's thin.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

STRIPER LOU

I also use the plastic shot glasses. If you have a dollar store that's what they sell them for.
For the sticks I buy a large box of tongue depressors from the drug store and just pop them in half. Just score them with a razor knife first.
Hope this helps,  ..  Lou

steelfish

Thanks guys for so many responses, I have tons of glass shots, and how I didn't thought of the opposite side of the brush LOL.
I can also look for those to-go small salsa plastic cups and Popsicle sticks on a near dollar store

Gracias again everybody
The Baja Guy

thorhammer

Hey Alex, that trevala came pretty good. One of my dryers is the same one you have, and at the constant speed without rheostat I found I got the same lumping when I used Prokote. Using multiple coats of flexcoat lite seems to be a bit better; you just have to smooth it out a coupe times until it starts setting or either let cure in pot a bit. Prokote and Voodoo are undeniable great finishes (just looked at Vadney's glass); I just had to try different things until I found what worked best on my set-up and environment.

Keep up the good work.

John 

steelfish

thanks John, I keep reading on finish tips and hopefully I will get better results in mu future jobs.

not that I will have that many rod jobs like many of you but its nice to be able to fix one and do it with almost factory look if not better

The Baja Guy