To Change Old Sealines Or Not ? Squall TLD

Started by Ukfishman, September 04, 2016, 07:34:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ukfishman

Hi all,

Thinking of changing from my old Sealines 450h,600h and 900h for ether two 30TLDs or the Squall 16vsw & 30vsw to use on my livebait set ups for wahoo.

I only use them 5/6 week a year when on vacation, as I live in UK. I just think the finesse of the lever drag would be an advantage when livebaiting.

I only fish mono, 30lb and 50lb so the graphite frames are fine.

So between the 30TLD and Squall 16 & 30 or just keep my money in my pocket, what would you guys who fish way more than me recommend.

Thanks

boon

Maybe buy one and see if you like it?

I would also include the Okuma SLX in your considerations - the TLD would take third place, in my mind, as it's a pretty dated design now.

If your budget will stretch to it I would consider the Penn Fathom lever drag.

The small Okuma Andros and Makaira are great reels too, they will have plenty of grunt for what you need and if you can get away without the capacity they will be much nicer to fish than a big lump of a 30.

FatTuna

I really like TLDs. They have their issues but I really like how smooth the drag is. They are simple to rebuild and parts are available.

Tiddlerbasher

I like the Andros (original one) - very smooth and powerful drag - capacity is about 400m of 50-60lb braid.
It almost feels like a baitcaster to handle :)

handi2

I would get the TLD 30II before getting the Squall. The TLD will outlast the Squall.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Bryan Young

How much line will you need?  Will you be using straight mono or braided line?  This will change my recommendation.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Ukfishman

B
Quote from: Bryan Young on September 08, 2016, 05:39:46 PM
How much line will you need?  Will you be using straight mono or braided line?  This will change my recommendation.

I prefer mono not the biggest fan of braid, 400+ yards of line. But now after reading through a few old threads on here and THT, I think the 2 speed isn't a necessary (after all the Sealines I've been using are single speed) and if I was more of a fan of braid the TLD 25 or Squall 60 would also do with the braid top shot combo, 300yrd 65lb braid & 250yrd 50lb mono top shot.

gstours

As an interested 3rd party, What are your dislikes with Braid?  There are some advantages I,m thinkin?   Just wondering? ???

Ukfishman

Quote from: gstours on September 10, 2016, 03:29:06 PM
As an interested 3rd party, What are your dislikes with Braid?  There are some advantages I,m thinkin?   Just wondering? ???

The set up is for livebaiting wahoo and I've had a few miss haps wind/slack line tangles with it fishing 2 rods on my own ( one deep, one on top) while dealing with the bite. If I fished 1 rod or had another man on the boat I would not of had problems with it.