Baitrunner 6500B removing rotor without disassembling the entire reel

Started by MarcosG, September 15, 2016, 04:14:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcosG

Hello,
I have two new questions,

The first one is about the clutch. For what I have gathered the clutch is the part that I don't want to mess with, this part should not get any grease or oil, just maybe sprayed with air and leave it dried .
As I apply grease inside and on top of rotor lightly and oil (Reel X) the main bearing and shaft, will the oil eventually run to the grey clutch which is suppose to get no lube?

I noticed that once I removed the clutch to access the main bearing and pinion, there was a layer of oil on top and bottom of the plastic grey covers of the clutch. Not sure if any oil got inside since I didn't and don't want to open it.
On the newer baitrunners says "no grease". I was wondering if it will be a problem if some oil not grease finds its way to the inside of the clutch as I use the reel.

The second question is: Is there a way to remove the rotor for occasional inspection, cleaning and lube of the main bearing without having to disassembling the entire reel?
The spool support on the 6500B is sort of embedded on the main shaft.

Thank you.

FatTuna

The clutch plate works best with only oil. A thick grease will prevent it from working properly. They are delicate but you can rebuild them if you have patience. I've accidentally knocked the springs out of a few of them.  

The roller clutch, I would just leave alone.

Which baitrunner says no grease?

You can not remove the rotor on a 6500B without first removing the spool shaft. It's a hassle. It's held in place with two E clips. It's easy to lose them.

If you remove the washers on the spool shaft, the clicker won't work anymore. On newer Shimano reels, you can remove the washers on the spool shaft and remove the rotor without taking apart the whole reel. On some you actually have to remove the rotor before removing the side plate.

MarcosG

Thank you,
The newer baitrunner 8000 is written on the top of the clutch no grease. The 6500B (older model) does not say but it looks the same. Bigt has a nice tutorial about this reel. I was able to follow and relube mine. Took me about 5 hours. But now, I would like to Remove the rotor only once in a while for small cleaning g, not the entire reel. The spool support is held on the main shaft that has some groves that it is attached to.
I could not find anywhere even in his wonderful tutorial to apply any kind of grease. Not sure if a drip of oil in there will damage the grey clutch (inside of it).

handi2

A little oil is OK just no grease whether is says it or not in the roller clutch. The Shimano Baitrunner reels old and new are the best baitrunner type reel made. All others the baitrunner function corrodes and goes bad in a year or two.

If your roller clutch does go backwards one you it will need cleaning. If it's just oily quick drying electrical contact cleaner is the easiest think to use. Spray a bunch inside and let it dry. It's only take a few minutes.

When servicing the reel don't use too much grease inside either. Especially towards to rear where the baitrunner function is located.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

redsetta

G'day Marcos,
Baitrunners are very common here in New Zealand - I've lost count of how many I've serviced, but it'd be in the several dozens.
I always lube the roller clutch with a little light oil, such as Inox.
Definitely keep grease away from it.
Hope that's of some assistance.
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

MarcosG

Thanks guys for the help. I was a little worried about keeping the clutch completely dryed  even if a little of Reel X runs into the clutch it won't damage it. the only place I applied grease is where the clutch sits around the main bearing, just a layer with the brush. I don't think that this layer will travel into the clutch.

How about the rotor removal? Can the spool support be taken out from the main shaft so the roller slides out?

Gfish

MarcosG, if lose or break anything call 877-577-0600 shimano N. America. When I called em, they seemed to have all the parts I was price checking. I was surprised. Rebuilt mine a-while back, about 5 hrs., with 2hrs. Fun and 3hrs. torture. Couldn't get the reassembly sequence right even with the tutorial, too much detail for me. Mine's for sale minus 1/2 the non-roller side rotor arm and the bail wire, if you need a parts reel. If interested PM me. Very interesting, shimano molded graphite to aluminium to make the upper parts of the rotor.  Real visible, when it breaks in 1/2.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!