I Need Hot Rodding Ideas for a Penn Senator 6/0 114 HLW

Started by Dominick, March 24, 2011, 09:46:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

Okay guys, I need some ideas.  I have a Penn Senator  6/0 114HLW.  It has the full aluminum frame.  I want to hot rod it.  I understand that there are SS gears for this reel and the ability to increase the drag stack.  Am I correct?  Is it worth doing for drag increase?  How much drag would I be able to safely get without damaging the side plates?  Will I have fun doing it ;D, or will I want to throw it against the wall before I am done >:(?  If SS gears are available who has them?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

alantani

honestly, the brass main gear is fine.  so it the brass gear sleeve.  you're going to fish straight 80# mono?  24 #'s of drag, right?  a big handle grip is all i'd add.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

ReelSpeed

I would agree with alan, the gear sleeve in that reel is pretty beefy already. 

then again, when you mention the word "hot rod", you open up the dark pit of, money is no option and do it just because.  I have applied this principle to fishing and cars in the past... In that case... sure, SS sleeve, SS gears, maybe JVariance sideplates, make sure you have CF drag washers... now once you have spent all that money, you get the pleasure to see the other reels you could have bought with these options already installed for probably less money.  ;D ;D ;D

If you do nothing else though, get a big Kolekar grip!  That, sir, you will not regret!
Reelspeed Reel Service & Repair
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
(562) 261-5190

Dominick

Okay!  Got it.  Alan the Kolekar grip you sent me is earmarked for that reel.  So I'm good to go.  Dom
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

To any of you gentlemen that beleive customizing this reel is not worth it and have the parts, especially plates and gears, send me a pm and I'll buy the parts from you. Thanks! Sal  ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.