Penn 12/0 drag upgrade- trouble shooting

Started by wsenti, September 17, 2016, 08:59:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

There are differences in the steel and bronze gears. I use steel whenever possible. It just seems to work out better for me.
Send Adam a pm. I'm sure he will hook you up. I will see what I have.
Life is Good!

sdlehr

Quote from: wsenti on September 19, 2016, 04:57:23 PM
The only thing I can think of is that I installed a newer version bearing cap on non handle side. I took it off a 2015 12/0 model. Would that have shifted things away from the handle side?
Nope, the bearing cap could possibly move the spool over, and that might move the pinion over, but that wouldn't affect the main gear or sleeve (or drag washers); the pinion normally moves up and down engaged to the main gear when you shift in and out of free spool.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Three se7ens

Quote from: wsenti on September 19, 2016, 04:57:23 PM

Interesting in that I would have to add more to the stack ..assumed the kit was all that I needed.

It looks like you need an extra thin washer, Ill send one out to you tomorrow.

Ive noticed some kits needing an extra metal washer for a spacer.  It seems theres some variation in the thickness and compressability of the carbon fiber washers from one sheet to the next.  Ideally, the last carbon fiber washer should come up to the top of the insert when assembled.

I just checked another 12/0 kit that I had, and this one will need an extra thin washer.  See the attached pics of before and after adding an extra thin washer. 

Shark Hunter

A man that stands behind his work. ;)
You will be very happy with the end results Wade.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Adam is one of the best!
What are you guys doing about the tension spring? All Penn reels come with the tension spring and need it.
In the past,  it was advised here that there was no need for one, but don't remember who from. I had stars back up on me a couple of times, I now use tension springs on all my Penn, but you guys do as you please.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

wsenti

Thanks Adam, sent you an email, more than willing to cover additional cost!

My gear is stainless steel and not bronze, it's a rebuild from an older, and likely better model of the Penn 12/0, which is why I bought it.

Shark Hunter

There were no stainless gears made for the 12/0. It is made of chrome plated steel. Tough as they come.
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

Quote from: Alto Mare on September 19, 2016, 09:14:00 PM
Adam is one of the best!
What are you guys doing about the tension spring? All Penn reels come with the tension spring and need it.
In the past,  it was advised here that there was no need for one, but don't remember who from. I had stars back up on me a couple of times, I now use tension springs on all my Penn, but you guys do as you please.

Sal

I would like to try a light Belleville washer from an International, and a wavy spring to help flatten the low end curve a bit, and keep the star in place.  I have used Delron top cupped washer, or a SS cupped spring washer over a delron in place of stock.  

There is only so much space to work with though.

And honestly I havn't messed around too much with different options on these guys yet.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Tightlines667

Quote from: Shark Hunter on September 21, 2016, 05:20:15 AM
There were no stainless gears made for the 12/0. It is made of chrome plated steel. Tough as they come.

Daron,

Did you determine that the new 12/0, 14/0,& 16/0 Gear Sets from Scotts are in fact not Stainless Steel.  Or are they just a bit pricy to consider as an upgrade option?

John
Hope springs eternal

Shark Hunter

The new 14 and 16/0 main gears that you tipped me off to are stainless. These were a special order from Scott's. They have been out of them for a while. I've never seen a stainless offering for a 12/0.
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

Now I wish I would have kept a few sets for myself, instead of putting them in customers' reels.  Hopefully Scott's can offer these again.
Hope springs eternal

wsenti

I received the additional washer and some carbon fiber drags.

It still appears to not go full drag. When I inserted the top washer from my other 12/0 it appears to really tighten like it should. Does anyone have any thoughts? I have a bunch of pics attached.

Shark Hunter

Wade,
You have pictures of a conventional stack and the insert.
Not sure what the issue is. I have tested these on a 12/0 and a 14/0 and I can lift a 30 lb weight without the drag slipping without it being locked down.
Feel free to drop me a pm to help and work this out. Bottom line, I'll buy it from you because I need another one for my reels.

Life is Good!

wsenti

I will send you a PM.

I tried with just the insert and with + conventional metal washer at the end, it appeared to grab once I put the other metal washer in place. With just the insert may drag kept slipping.

wsenti

It also seems to tighten well when using the ring washer I took off a 2015 Penn 12/0 model. This Penn 12/0 I rebuilt was pretty old, it had very old carbon fiber washers, so not significantly old, but definitely not a newer model with the chrome spool.

What are your thoughts of use the ring washer and/or a traditional metal washer at the end before the star?

Image attached with the ring washer.

Thanks,
Wade