Finally got a used 9/0.

Started by Saaben, September 19, 2016, 10:51:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

There is one issue with using a bushing 9/0 with one of Tom's frames.
There are two holes that don't line up perfectly.
It is easily remedied with a drill bit through the plates and rings, but some may choose not to alter the plates.

Life is Good!

thorhammer

I was wondering about that but never held one.

Saaben

Good evening everyone. Hopefully the pictures post. Im curious if this is what is referred to as a "3 piece spool". To the untrained eye it looks like a one piece to me but obviously will defer to the experts. The spool regardless will not come cleaner than that. The dog ear is a little worn. I did end up losing the little piece of metal that is if I remember a spring that connects to the dog ear. I also notice 3 small screws, is that normal? I have another on order. I was under the impression I could get it perfect looking but realize that is not really worth it. Would rather be able to successfully use it in 5 days. Plan on greasing it up good hopefully these washers don't get the best of me. Thanks again

thorhammer

Put a coat of turtle wax on that spool and fish the crap out if it.  That is a three piece spool.

Saaben

What does the 3 piece actually refer to? It looks like a one piece. What is the difference between a 3 and 1 piece? Thanks

Superhook

Saaben,
The spool is made of two flanges and an arbor that are pressed together . Later,  Penn made a cast , one piece spool which will take line wound on under more tension without popping the flanges loose.
Ray

Shark Hunter

This is a one piece spool. Cast from one piece of metal, not three. Much tougher than the 3 piece.
If you really plan on fishing this reel. It is an old one and I'm sure you would have no problem selling it to a collector here and get one more suitable for fishing.
That is really a collectors item. JMO

Life is Good!

Tightlines667

You can fish it if you spool it up w/ Dacron line backing and be careful using high drag settings.  When the spool warps, due to the flanges displacing outwards, it will rub and bind on the sideplates.

I would take Daron's advice though.

Clean it up, reassemble it as stock, and sell it as a ca. 1949 collector's item.  

Then maybe try to find a post 1955 model with a one piece, chromed bronze spool, and bearings instead of bushings to fish.  A used reel will likely require a new drag stack, undergear washer, spring washers, and bearings though.  New 9/0s don't cost much, so don't overpay on a used reel.

Penn made alot of 9/0s so you should he able to find a great used one, if you practice a but of patience.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Bill B

Here's a link to a discussion on spools..http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=18489.0

Btw...where are you located....maybe one of us is nearby to give you a hand?

Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Saaben

I live in Cumming, GA. I considered asking if anyone was near here. I am doing the rebuild tonight and it is a learning experience. Thanks

Bill B

I'll be on for a couple hours, any hiccups post here and I will try to help.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Dustin0330

Quote from: Saaben on September 22, 2016, 01:40:15 AM
I live in Cumming, GA. I considered asking if anyone was near here. I am doing the rebuild tonight and it is a learning experience. Thanks

I'm in Gainesville so you're only 30 mins from me.

Saaben

Thanks Bill,  I may need to reach out to you. I will let you know if tonights adventure goes sideways.