Okuma reel oil - what is it?

Started by paal, March 25, 2011, 03:46:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paal

I bought an Andros reel yesterday, and in the box there is a small container with oil. The only labels on the container are "Okuma" and "oil". Does anyone know what it is? I'm hoping for it to be CorrosionX, since it seems they did not save pennies on this reel. But I'm guessing that's a long shot....  :)
Still, even though it's not corrosionX, it might perhaps be worthwhile to use. It's just that I hate applying stuff when I have no idea about its properties....

alantani

well, i don't know how much of an issue it is, considering that we don't even know what's in corrosion x!!!!!!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

paal

Point taken  :)
I assumed that since "everybody" uses corrosionX, it was more or less empirically proven that it has an edge over the cheaper stuff....
I guess I have no other option than to run a corrosion test myself on "oil" (the Okuma stuff) vs. corrosionX.

alantani

the guys at okuma engineering are no slackers.  when we were still jabbering about xtreme reel + (remember that disaster?), then had already tested it and figured out that it doesn't last long enough.  they are running tsi 301 and 321 through their paces now and should come up with an answer soon.  ;)
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

paal

:)
Drag grease, corrosionX and Yamaha lube is very hard  to come by here in Norway, but some of it can be bought on ebay of course. But I'm sure the Okuma oil is good too, according to what you tell. And it would be fun to do such a test anyway. I plan on having small separate containers with saltwater that I'll partially submerge stainless washers in. The washers will 'marinate' in grease/oil for 24 hours or so before put to the test. Separate containers for each washer is to avoid cross-contamination of the different oils/greases. One washer will go in without any oil or grease, for reference.

oldtrackster

Quote from: paal on March 29, 2011, 06:23:16 AM
:)
Drag grease, corrosionX and Yamaha lube is very hard  to come by here in Norway, but some of it can be bought on ebay of course. But I'm sure the Okuma oil is good too, according to what you tell. And it would be fun to do such a test anyway. I plan on having small separate containers with saltwater that I'll partially submerge stainless washers in. The washers will 'marinate' in grease/oil for 24 hours or so before put to the test. Separate containers for each washer is to avoid cross-contamination of the different oils/greases. One washer will go in without any oil or grease, for reference.
that will be interesting, please post your results.
Can someone explain how the Feds count recreational Red Snapper catch?

"Pretty sure it involves a witch doctor, an astrologist, and a tub of KY jelly." - jamisjockey

paal

I will, if I can manage to get meaningful results :) Right now I'm experimenting with the reference (no oil/grease). I picked a stainless washer that is slightly magnetic (it is stainless grade "A4", which doesn't mean much to me....). Hopefully this will show corrosion within a reasonable time period. If not, I'll have to get something less stainless....