Golden Sabre Rod #1776c

Started by Bill B, September 21, 2016, 12:32:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

I did some work for a friend and was given this Golden Sabre #1776c 7 1/2 ft Nypoxy Rod.  The tuna cord wrapping for the rail plate and guide wrapping are dark green. The stripper guide and tip are rollers. My limited research shows the owner of Seeker Rods once worked for Golden Sabre, and at one time Golden Sabre rods were paired with Penn 114's and sold as a package deal.  I received a 114H and rail plate with the rod. Does anyone have any additional information? It seems the old GS rods have a little historical value but your opinions are appreciated....Bill

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Alto Mare

I can't help you with more information on that rod Bill, but I will say it is a beauty. If you intend to fish it, I would re-wrap it,
but it would look great as is if kept on display.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bill B

That's what I was thinking, maybe chip the clear coat on the guide wrapping, recoat and wall hang....but I just love the weight and heft of that old Rod.....

Swami805

That Sabre was made for fishing "rock cod" on the west coast. In those days it was common to fish  anywhere from 300' to 900' deep with a 3 to 5 pound sinker and a multiple hook ganion, usually 6 or more hooks. Send it to the bottom and try to get as many on it as you could. If you had a bunch of fish on the air bladders would expand and it would pretty much float to the surface. Does the reel have a very long blade and and long handle? Normally it would be filled with dacron so it wouldn't stretch. The rod would have pretty thick walls and be somewhat parabolic. That reel would have been consider by some to be small, a lot of diehard rock codders use 9/0 or some 12/0 reels on longer stiffer rods with 12 or more hooks. It was straight meat fishing but could be very productive. I would go a few times a year to fill the freezer 10' bamboo rod, a 9/0 penn and 8 hook ganions.
Now the limit is 10 and there's depth and gear restrictions so you don't see those set up anymore.
Thanks for posting that, pretty cool.
Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Bill B

Sheridan that's a spot on assessment, you have jogged my memory, I used to work as a deadhead on some of the boats out of CISCOS in the 70's as a very young teenager and remember the multiple hook ganions, even used to tie them with homemade shrimp flies. Yes the handle on the 6/0 is long 6" and was filled with Dacron, and the rod seems to be solid, like it could lift a ton  :o, the rail plate makes perfect sense now. Thanks for the info....may have to send the rod out for a refurb, it would be a shame to let this old girl wallow in a tattered dress....Bill

Dominick

Good decison Bill.  Keep it alive.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.