A LEGEND

Started by D1FISHR, September 21, 2016, 11:47:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D1FISHR

On this night in 1982, on an Atlantic City jetty, history was made...

Al McReynolds, here's to you!

Rancanfish

Wow. Amazing set up.

If I hooked it, it would have been history.  As in gone. ;D
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Bill B

Cool beans...just goes to show you, old school will get it done.....Old Guys Rule  ;D. Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Penn Chronology

Great moment in time for the surf fishing world and Penn reels!

thorhammer

I read a piece on that a couple years ago....it was very saddening what he went through after catching that fish, from being called a liar and cheat to outright persecution that juts about cost him everything...just because he caught a bigger fish than anybody....

mizmo67

That's my friend DJ's uncle, which has been kind of neat.
So far, no one's beat that world record yet.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

Tightlines667

Quote from: mizmo67 on September 22, 2016, 06:00:07 PM
That's my friend DJ's uncle, which has been kind of neat.
So far, no one's beat that world record yet.

Now that is saying something.

All of my world records were broken.  A look at the book shows most line class records having been broken several times in the last few decades, wheras many all tacckle records have stood the test of time.

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Penn Chronology

QuoteSo far, no one's beat that world record yet.

It is a great fish: but--->    ''Oct 19, 2011 ... Congratulations to angler Greg Myerson on his official IGFA recognized world record striped bass of 81 pounds, 14 ounces!

From the IGFA:

Greg Myerson's 37.1 kg (81 lb 14 oz) striped bass record was approved yesterday morning after the IGFA's Record Committee came to a consensus on the catch and its supporting documentation. Myerson's catch created a whirlwind of excitement in early August for striper anglers everywhere, but especially in the northeastern USA.

"After a 15 minute fight on my St. Croix rod and Quantum reel, I got the striped bass close enough to the boat for netting," Myerson shared in the testimony accompanying his world record application. "The fish was bigger than I thought. I slipped on eel slime and banged my ribs against the gunwhale of the boat. But it didn't matter. The monster fish was mine. At this point it was about 8 pm, I put the fish into the hold and fished the rest of the tide. As I fished, I repeatedly peered into the hold and asked myself 'is this striper really that big?' The following morning, I brought the striped bass to Jack's Shoreline Bait and Tackle to be weighed. The fish measured 54 inches in length and tipped Jack's digital scale at 81.88 pounds. It really was that big."

The IGFA's approval of Meyerson's catch marks the end of Albert McReynolds' 29-year reign as All-Tackle record holder for this prestigious saltwater species. In addition to now holding the All-Tackle record, Meyerson's catch also landed him the new men's 37 kg (80 lb) line class record, which previously stood at 70 lb. Congratulations to Greg Myerson on this historical record catch – and good luck to you striper fishermen aiming to best it in the future!

mizmo67

Ah...NJ needs to update their saltwater records page to read "Past world record". It's still an unbeaten NJ state record though :)
~Mo

STRIPER LOU

78+ pounds from a jetty! Its a monster!

As far as Greg goes I don't know him personally but he lives in my town and not that far from me. I've spoken to him on several occasions at the fishing shows and there's no doubt this gentleman knows his stuff. He is probably one of the best, night eel fisherman around period. I believe he said his boat was around 18'. So you don't need a monster boat to catch monster fish.

Of course the new state record is his largest, but he also has fish in the 70++ pound class. Some of his simpler strategies is being stealth. No noise, no commotion can make all the difference when targeting the big girls.

A simple thing like a ring that makes noise on your SS steering wheel can drive big bass away. They got this big from being oh so very smart. I've read all his articles in hopes that a little might rub off on me.

Also spoke to a gentleman who saw that fish and said the size was almost indescribable!

.....................Lou

broadway

Al McReynold's caught that fish on a full moon off a jetty which is where the baitfish go during a full moon around here.  Either Al knew that or got lucky, either way he scored a gorgeous fish and paid for it in the years to come.
Greg Myerson is the new world record holder and a hell of a fisherman.  He markets a rattling sinker that I would buy but its painted yellow which doesn't make sense to me, but it's supposed to mimic a lobster.  He recently came out with the rattling grenade sinker that I may have to try... it's cool looking too.  Pretty much everything he uses in the water rattles... check out his site.
He's one dedicated sharpie who isn't lying about the size of his boat, watch his videos on youtube.
Thanks for posting this,
Dom

Bill B

Is Al a member here? I'm sure he would find it a lot more pleasant......Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

mizmo67

That one I don't know the answer to! One of the admins might?
~Mo