Carbontex for TLD 30

Started by Gman_WC, March 26, 2011, 06:09:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gman_WC

I see on the SmoothDrag website that there is Carbontex drags for whats listed
as TLD 5 -10 15 - 20 - 25 single speed.
Are none made for the Shimano 2 speeds? I need some for a pair of 30's.
Thanks -gary
Walnut Creek, CA

alantani

not needed.  the stock washers are fine.  um, unless they start falling apart like the tyrnos drags........   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Nessie Hunter

Ya what Alan said... 
The 2 speeds have what 'looks' exactly like Carbontex.  If its not its at leasta woven Carbon Fiber that feels strong...

Is that what they call Dartainium II ???
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

alantani

it doesn't hurt to be nice.  let's just call it one bad batch. 

Gman_WC

Thanks for the replies.
So I'm guessing that there are none made in Carbontex and the stock drags are fine?
The only reason I ask is that I have two 30's that I picked up used in new condition at a price
that could not be passed on.
If they were new when I obtained them, they would be 12-14 years old.
They have always run flawless and have run them through there paces on bills and YT.
They are well cared for, locking drags and rinsed off after every day and wiped down.
They are due for service and a peak under the hood before the next Baja Loreto offshore rodeo at
the end of July
No need to be cheap.
Alan whats your current load look like?  ;D
-gary
Walnut Creek, CA

alantani

i'm pretty badly stacked up right now.  remember, i was sick as a dog for 3 weeks!  the tutorial is available and i can send the shim washers and handle.  want to try it yourself?  worst case, send it over in a ziplock.   ;D

Nessie Hunter

Quote from: alantani on March 27, 2011, 07:51:20 PM
  worst case, send it over in a ziplock.   ;D

;D ;D      Thats funny....   
I do some work for one of my clubs free or dirt freakin cheap. 
You cant imagine how many Zip Locks I get from those guys!!   

::)
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Gman_WC

Alan, I"ll send you the 30's per our conversation. There's no rush on my end. - Thanks
I know some reel guys refer to the dreaded zip lock as a "Body Bag" and will charge more
to piece it back together.

I'll stick with the star drags until I get a little more brave. -gary
Walnut Creek, CA

ReelSpeed

I kinda enjoy the zip locks.. makes it more challenging and the customer is always impressed. :)  The one thing I don't like, is if it is missing one random part...like a spacer or something..  that can be the beginning of the end for your brain.   ;D
Reelspeed Reel Service & Repair
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
(562) 261-5190

Gman_WC

Yep, I gave a body bag to a friend a few years ago and just got it back.
He didn't want to do it but after running out of things to tinker with he put it back together. Then find out what was broken to repair it!
I was amused to find what small white plastic parts were in it, considering what I had boated with it prior, and it"s cost.
I almost forgot about my poor Calcutta 100 that I overfished in the bay live baiting stripers.
Big Moe tore up some of it's plastic insides when I tried to slow'm down with more drag than it could handle.  ;D
It's going to live out it's life as a lead core trout trolling reel.  :o Fool me once -g
Walnut Creek, CA