The Ribs are Coming!

Started by ChileRelleno, September 24, 2016, 02:31:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChileRelleno

Three magnificent racks of St. Louis style pork ribs are going on the grill!

Here's the teaser.
One rack done with mustard, the other two water and all hand rubbed with much care and attention.
I love rubbing my meat.  ;)

Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

conchydong

Bill B

What time is dinner, I'll be right over.....yum.... :P. Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

David Hall

Patiently awaiting the outcome.

Big Tim

ChileRelleno

The Menu
St. Louis Style Ribs, dry rub, no sauce
Cole Slaw, made with Alabama White BBQ sauce
Waffle Fries

Cooking Method
I'm doing these on my IR gas grill.
My burners are vertical so I'll use the burner on the far right, and cook on the left.
I'll put soaked hickory chips directly on the grill above the lit burner.
Temp will average about 250-275', and I'll cook uncovered for about 2 hours and I'll mop with apple juice once or twice, needed or not.
Once the bones start to pop and the racks bend and crack when picked up from the center, I'll dust them a bit, wrap in foil and finish until done.
Ragnar Benson:
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

David Hall

Excellant procedure, I like the 3-2-1 slightly modified, 3 hrs at 225 under moderate smoke, then 90 minutes foiled covered with juice in a big roasting pan in the oven at 300, then a dusting with rub and finish on the grill.
Either way they're good.

Todd Jacobsen

Looks great. Looking foward to the finished product. I built 2 UDS which is a 55 gallon drum that work great.

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

ChileRelleno

Going Down

Apple Juice Basting

Ready to Wrap for Finishing

Ready to Carve

Money Shot

Ragnar Benson:

conchydong

Nice, could you tell a noticeable difference between the mustard rubbed ones versus the plain ones?
Just wondering. I have done both but not side by side for comparison.

ChileRelleno

Quote from: conchydong on September 25, 2016, 12:06:25 AM
Nice, could you tell a noticeable difference between the mustard rubbed ones versus the plain ones?
Just wondering. I have done both but not side by side for comparison.
Yes I could, the mustard definitely cut the sweetness of this rub (Meathead's Memphis Dust).
Which was a good thing because it was pretty sweet.
Also, I thought the bark was firmer with the mustard base.

Ragnar Benson:

Shark Hunter

John,
That is ridiculous.
You should have been a Chef.
Next May, I expect some of your Culinary expertise.
I'll settle for some bacon wrapped Venison. ;)
Life is Good!

MarkT

Looks great! I do the opposite method in that I do the dry rub, wrap in foil and cook in oven then finish on the grill. I got that method from watching Good Eats!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

ChileRelleno

Quote from: David Hall on September 24, 2016, 09:35:26 PM
Excellant procedure, I like the 3-2-1 slightly modified, 3 hrs at 225 under moderate smoke, then 90 minutes foiled covered with juice in a big roasting pan in the oven at 300, then a dusting with rub and finish on the grill.
Either way they're good.
Quote from: MarkT on September 25, 2016, 02:54:06 AM
Looks great! I do the opposite method in that I do the dry rub, wrap in foil and cook in oven then finish on the grill. I got that method from watching Good Eats!
Yes'sir, doesn't matter how you cook'em, as long as they come out juicy and tender, they're a bit of heaven.

Mine never see an oven, they go right back into the grill after wrapping in foil.
Can't get some good smoke in the oven...  Well I could, but my wife would be pretty irate.  ;)

Ragnar Benson: