Update 2016 Alligator Season

Started by Cone, September 30, 2016, 02:36:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cone

I went back to the Choctawhatchee river on September 15th with my friend Ron. We spent all night hunting but only brought one ten foot gator to the boat. We were looking for something bigger so we released him. It seems all I can catch is ten foot gators but we made plans to return later to try again.
       We went back on Tuesday the 27th. It was a dark night with a cool front passing through the following night. We hoped that the combination would bring out the gators. It turned out to be the best night I've ever had gator hunting!  ;D  We caught 5 gators and released 4 that were between 8 and 10 feet. The fifth gator I killed and tagged. We got him on about 2:30 to 3:00 in the morning on the 28th. We finally killed him and got him in the boat about 6:30 or 7 am.
       He wrapped himself up in logs on the bottom. I thought we were going to lose him a couple of times. We managed to catch the line with a gaff and I put a harpoon in his back. It was in the scutes and it later pulled during the fight. We had to find the end of the line again with a gaff and Ron gaffed him in the jowls. After a fight I dispatched him with a bang stick. He ended up being 12 feet 3 inches long.  ;D
      I'm tagged out and the 2016 season is history for me. Here are a few picks of the swamp lizard.

"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Steve-O

Wow!  Congrats, Cone, on that big dino! Whew what monster.  Makes my 7 foot Gator Gar look like a shrimp.

Glad you tagged out BIG.

Cone

Thanks! I've been trying to get a big one for a while. He was a big boy! We didn't have a scale that would weigh him but we estimate around 550 lbs. He had some old wounds. He was missing his left front foot and his right eye. Both wounds were healed. He wasn't the one that got off earlier this year. Maybe next year we'll get him.
Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Bill B

Wow....not sure if I want to go hunting with you if 10' is a throw back....cuz they get bigger.. :o..I get scared when the back yard lizards run up on me ...brother I think you are my new hero.... :D  Glad you finished big and with all your fingers attached.... ;D  gator....it's what Bob is having for dinner, and dinner, and dinner....thats a lot of lizard meat....  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

ChileRelleno

Hey Bob, congrats on the 12 footer.

Is Momma getting a new pair of shoes, handbag and suitcases?
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Shark Hunter

Congratulations Bob!
Nothing like a 12 foot, three legged, one eyed Dinosaur to top off the season. ;D
What a Hoss. :o Next time I'm Shark fishing, you are going to be the Wrangler.
Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.
Never tried Gator, but I bet it would be good in some your Gumbo. ;)
Life is Good!

Dominick

Yea Bob.  :-* That's the way to go.  8) Your description of the hunt gave me the willies.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

Congratulations Bob! Having the wounds you've mentioned, that big boy must have given a few a hard time, but it was all over once he met our "gator hunter"  ;D.
Good job buddy!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

i hate to sound like a wimp, but i'm gonna have nightmares!!!!    ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Shark Hunter

Bob,
Make up a nice reel cover of Gator Skin for Alan.
Maybe it will help with his nightmares. ;)
If He doesn't want it, I do.
Life is Good!

oc1