My CC narrow 4/0 is finally done

Started by RiverAngler, September 26, 2016, 10:55:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RiverAngler

My original plan was to powder paint the spool translucent orange, but that didn't work out. I just don't have the proper equipment to do it with. So I used Krylon Engine Enamel and baked it in the oven to cure it well. Keta's lug blanks and the cap screws are powder painted black. How's it look?

Thanks to:
Cortez Conversions new style side plates
Vintage Offshore Tackle - T4n frame and Newell Spool
Pro Challenger all stainless running gear and drag stack
Motive Fab offset handle and Newell star
Striper Lou's Fabulous acrylic knob
Scott's B&T/MysticParts.com for misc springs n things
Keta's lug blanks

http://s50.photobucket.com/user/rgobel1/media/IMG_20160926_144820_zpscic0h54o.jpg.html

http://s50.photobucket.com/user/rgobel1/media/IMG_20160926_144922_zpsmend8mbq.jpg.html

http://s50.photobucket.com/user/rgobel1/media/IMG_20160926_144905_zpsc5a2gtd0.jpg.html

http://s50.photobucket.com/user/rgobel1/media/IMG_20160926_144843_zpswxklpoly.jpg.html

Can't wait to test it!

Ralph

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Parents don't frame pictures of their kids playing video games. Take them fishing!

handi2

It looks great..!!

Let us know how the spool does. I have a narrow spool that needs attention and paint might be the way to go.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

RiverAngler

Thank you, sir. I'm reely happy with the way it turned out. The spool works fine. No gaps, and great freespool even with packed bearings.

That is why I used engine enamel. It is good to 500d. F. I baked it for 15 minutes at 300 in the oven, so I know it won't flake or chip off.

Ralph
Parents don't frame pictures of their kids playing video games. Take them fishing!

swill88

Looks great Ralph!

Where do you fish in the Delta?

Steve

RiverAngler

Thanks, Steve. I live in Rio Vista, so I fish as far up as Walnut Grove (if some one takes me out) and as far south as the Martinez. Mostly I fish off of the bank nearby or off the pier.

STRIPER LOU

Very nice Ralph! That whole setup really pops! The orange spool looks great.
.................Lou

BL90292

Ralph,

The reel look amazing.  Do you have any picture to show how you prep it ?
Or did you use a new/old stock Newell aluminum reel ?

I have an older Aluminum P-332 reel that can use some love.
I would like replicate your process.

Thanks for the great photos.  They gave me a lot of ideas on older parts !

Benjamin

RiverAngler

Benjamin, the spool is a used Newell. I asked Randy Pauley before buying it if it was anodized, but he said it was painted. So I lightly chucked it in my drill and sanded it down on low speed with 220 grit wet or dry sand paper followed by 400 grit. The paint is Krylon brand engine enamel. It has 3 coats of paint on it (no primer)and then I baked it to set it on the spool.It's hard as a rock.

Randy (Rancanfish) was kind enough to inform me the offset handle needed to be flipped over, which I'm doing now. It's been a trying day. My car blew the head gasket this AM on the way home from work.

RiverAngler

Thanks Lou! Your knob was what started this project.

Rancanfish

Quote from: RiverAngler on September 27, 2016, 12:36:23 AM
Benjamin, the spool is a used Newell. I asked Randy before buying it if it was anodized, nut he said it was painted. So I lightly chucked it in my drill and sanded it down with 220 grit wet or dry sand paper followed by 400 grit. The paint is Krylon brand engine enamel. It has 3 coats of paint on it (no primer)and then I baked it to set it on the spool.It's hard as a rock.

Randy was kind enough to inform me the offset handle needed to be flipped over, which I'm doing now. It's been a trying day. My car blew the head gasket this AM on the way home from work.

Take a cool drink and burn off the frustration futzing with your reel.  

Benjamin,  someone else may be able to tell you if this kit works with your Newell, but my gut tells me no.  The guts to all these seem to be Penn113h's.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

RiverAngler

Correct. My reel is all 113HN inside.

Swami805

Thanks for posting that, I have some Newell spools that could use some love too. I assume the paint would come from a auto parts shop?  Also 3 coats and then bake it?
Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

RiverAngler

Sheridan. I got it at Ace Hardware, but any engine enamel will work. Krylon is just a brand I know and trust. Don't leave it in the oven for too long or it will start smoking. Won't hurt the paint, but will stink up the kitchen. Not too hot, either.

Swami805

Do what you can with that you have where you are

David Hall

Great looking reel, another one of a kind!