Fishing in NYC has been so slow...

Started by mrbrklyn, September 10, 2016, 10:49:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrbrklyn

So I've been board the last few days and caught a couple a hundred porgies...

http://images.mrbrklyn.com/2016_porgies_galore/

???

Alto Mare

Very nice Mrbrklyn, porgies are very tasty on the grill.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

With that many, it isn't easy. Have a cookout with a couple of grills :).
I don't scale porgies when grilling, the skin gets nice and stiff and removes nicely, keeping the meat intact.
Some olive oil, garlic, fresh italian parsley, lemon juice, salt and pepper to pour over the meat after cooking and that's all it takes.
Leave the white wine or beer up to your guests and you're set.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

Look at those sad faces on their faces will bring smiles on your friends and family's face.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Dominick

Ruben, thanks for the photos and the report.  I never met a porgy that I did not like.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

newport

Nice mess of fish. Porgies are good eating. There are actually people out there that think porgies are bad tasting fish, apparently.

Alto Mare

Quote from: mrbrklyn on September 11, 2016, 10:45:36 PM
Quote from: Alto Mare on September 11, 2016, 09:57:33 AM
With that many, it isn't easy. Have a cookout with a couple of grills :).
I don't scale porgies when grilling, the skin gets nice and stiff and removes nicely, keeping the meat intact.
Some olive oil, garlic, fresh italian parsley, lemon juice, salt and pepper to pour over the meat after cooking and that's all it takes.
Leave the white wine or beer up to your guests and you're set.

:(  I can't eat olive oil any longer on my diet
That's too bad Mrbrklyn, I couldn't do without. Maybe substitute the oil with butter? :-\. I'm sure you'll find a way not to make them go to waste

Alto Mare

Ruben, you cut my veins olive oil would come out ;D. I use it on almost everything, I try to stay away from butter.
Where I come from the olive oil comes from our fields and so does the bread.
We never went to the store to buy anything, everything was made at home. I left 40+ years ago, today no one wants to work the fields and rather purchase the oil  from the store. That oil is no way close to the oil I used to watch while being pressed from the freshly picked olives.
I hope I'm not getting personal, just a curiosity, what is so bad in olive oil that you can't have?

Sal

Alto Mare

Quote from: mrbrklyn on September 19, 2016, 07:24:51 AM
Quote from: Alto Mare on September 18, 2016, 12:15:27 PM
Ruben, you cut my veins olive oil would come out ;D. I use it on almost everything, I try to stay away from butter.
Where I come from the olive oil comes from our fields and so does the bread.
We never went to the store to buy anything, everything was made at home. I left 40+ years ago, today no one wants to work the fields and rather purchase the oil  from the store. That oil is no way close to the oil I used to watch while being pressed from the freshly picked olives.
I hope I'm not getting personal, just a curiosity, what is so bad in olive oil that you can't have?

Sal

A teaspoon of olive oil is 5 weight watchers points (out of 30 for the whole day)
5 points out of 30 is not bad for enjoy a nice filet, also, juice from a half lemon could promote weight loss.

My doctor told me to lay off bread, I'm Italian so that won't happen any time soon.
I'll be cautious and try to moderate, but won't give it up all together. Life's too short  not enjoying a few things we have that make us happy... just my take on it. :-\

humboldtdan

Olive oil is not anything like other oils in terms of health benefits.  Olive oil is very healthy.  It is not the same as vegetable oil.  I would be highly suspect of a diet that called for eliminating olive oil from your diet.

sdlehr

Quote from: humboldtdan on September 19, 2016, 05:46:54 PM
Olive oil is not anything like other oils in terms of health benefits.  Olive oil is very healthy.  It is not the same as vegetable oil.  I would be highly suspect of a diet that called for eliminating olive oil from your diet.
While olive oil may be on the top of the list of "healthy oils", it is still a fat and has as many calories as any other fat. It is not going to clog your arteries like other fats will (as much), but if you are trying to lose weight it counts the same as any other fat in the calorie category.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

steelfish

Quote from: Alto Mare on September 19, 2016, 03:14:51 PM
My doctor told me to lay off bread, I'm Italian so that won't happen any time soon.

Im totally understand, My Doctor also told me to stop eating tortillas.. do you really think Im gonna stop eating those delicious fish tacos?

The Baja Guy

steelfish

Quote from: steelfish on September 20, 2016, 06:15:03 PM
Quote from: Alto Mare on September 19, 2016, 03:14:51 PM

Im totally understand, My Doctor also told me to stop eating tortillas.. do you really think Im gonna stop eating those delicious fish tacos?

my life the last 20 years

The Baja Guy

Alto Mare

Quote from: mrbrklyn on September 30, 2016, 10:48:02 AM
Anyway, the porgies are still biting in record numbers.  Nobody has ever seen such a run.  I have to by a new freezer

http://images.mrbrklyn.com/2016_freezer/
That's a lot of fish right there ;D

jigmaster501

If anyone wants to fish this weekend, the Capitol princess is fishing from 23rd and the east river now with bass and blues minutes from the dock. The weekend trips are catered which is included in the fare. Use noreast as the discount code to save 10 dollars online. I will be in the bow on Saturday.