Extra Large Cobia

Started by Newell Nut, September 28, 2016, 07:33:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

Quote from: bluefish69 on September 30, 2016, 03:26:13 AM
What is George going to do now? George & Al are like twins.

Mike

Good question.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Newell Nut

Quote from: handi2 on September 29, 2016, 11:23:03 PM
Cobia tournaments up here in the Panhandle of Florida are big money tournaments. Besides the thousands of dollars in winnings boats up to 25' are given away.

It usually takes a 90 pounder to win and Dwight's fish would have been a money winner.

A bad thing is less fish are seen every year and they hang out at the oil rigs in Lousianna to spawn. They are too easy to catch when there.

Dwight did you just see him and chunk some cut bait? In the summer after every the spring run some big ones stay and hang around some local wrecks.

Keith

I did not see the fish. I had a live grunt on and had it about 30 feet down and holding for and AJ attack. Got a hard hit and then just held on waiting until the fish hooked itself.
To my amazement while fishing yesterday I someone screaming cobia and captain George was throwing a jig from the upper deck and when I looked about 20 yards out I say another giant cobia with 3 smaller ones. None of them hit the jig and that giant was bigger than mine. They just kept swimming away on the surface.
I had a huge red snapper yesterday come over the rail. Had another huge something snap my 60lb leader. Rigged up an 80 and then had a large AJ almost in gaf range and a big cuda attacked and cut the thing off. Rigged again and got another nice AJ in the boat.
We have some mangos showing up again too. They have been missing for 8 weeks.

Newell Nut

Yesterday's catch. Now that we are seeing some mangos return I have to quit playing with AJs and focus on my favorite fish.

alantani

photo of the month.  congratulations!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Newell Nut