A little help with greasing those bearings

Started by Mr GreenJeans, March 27, 2011, 12:40:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr GreenJeans

A couple of weeks ago I got the bearing grease packers from Alan.  Thanks Alan, these things are way cool.  Today I finally found some time to push some grease through those sealed bearings.  I have a few questions, because I just want to be sure I am doing this right.

I have several BX2 reels, and I started out on the 500 for no particular reason.  The first bearing I started on was #83-Frame Bearing.  Here is a picture of it:

My problem is that I couldn't figure out how to get the silly thing out of the frame.  You can see that there is a piece of metal bent up to hold it in place.  On the back side, I removed the frame knob clip and frame knob, but couldn't see any way to push the bearing out of the left side of the frame.  Anybody know how to get this bearing out of there so I can push some grease through it?

Undaunted, I proceeded on to #16-Gear Sideplate Bearing.  Using a bearing puller fashioned from a coat hanger (thanks for the tip Alan), I pulled the bearing and pushed some grease through it.  As an aside, I couldn't find any yamaha marine grease locally, so I just bought generic at Pep Boys.  The guy there said it was all made by the same company, so let's hope for the best with generic.  On the plus side, it was only $4, as compared to $10 to get some yamaha gease mail order.  Here is a picture of the bearing:

Next I went on to #82-Tension Cam.  This was a little confusing, because it sure looks like a bearing to me.  So I pushed some grease through it.  My question is, if it looks like bearing, why isn't it called a bearing?  Here is the picture:

Edit: I checked the Accurate website and in the ATD schematic this is labeled as the cam bearing.  So it must just be mislabeled in the BX2 schematic.

I already removed the shields from the spool bearings and sprayed on 301, so those are set.  Are there any more bearings I should be looking for?  I've gone through the schematics and that is all I see.  Of course, I am skipping over the AR bearings, which are the subject for another thread.  

Thanks for any pointers.

David

Mr GreenJeans

Quote from: mchawk;2210083That little metal tab is part of the retainer clip (spring clip), you need to pry it out with a small screwdriver by unloading the spring at the tab end make sure to cover it so it doesn't pop out and get lost.

You should be able to pull the bearing out easily after the clip is removed.

Good idea to download the parts diagram from accurate so you know what everything is and where it goes.

Also posted this question on Bloody Decks and got a couple of good answers.  I used some needle nose plyers to twist the retaining clip out and it worked like a champ.  Just thought I would share what I learned on this board too.