Avet sx 5.0.1, help hard to use

Started by trentless, March 27, 2011, 01:14:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trentless

I just finished tinkering with, oops I mean servicing my buddy's SX 5.1 (older style) and it is very difficult to turn the handle now.  It has good drag and freespool so I assume the lever drag got moved durring build back.  The braid isn't slipping and the spool is not overloaded.  How the heck do I fix this and also prevent it from happening again???  Do you back of the drag, freespool to make it fool proof when putting back together?

Thanks

Nessie Hunter

Assuming here!!!   
You probably dont have the gears & pins seated into Drag/spool stack..
Have to remove Rght side again and make sure all is seated as you put it back together, slowly & carefully.
I turn the handle as it comes together and hope for the best.   
Sometimes takes a couple of tries "for me" ....

Alan or others may have an easier way to do it???

The drag adjustment isnt the issue, it the fitting back together gears & gear pins back into spool exactly right. 
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

trentless

Thanks Nessie Hunter,
I figured it was something pretty simple, just a pain to find out after its all put back together!  Need to figure out how to make servicing these idiotproof.  Might have time to redo here today.

alantani

any possibility that the right main side plate bearing is bad?  also, could you have forgotten to install the sleeve between the two drive shaft bearings? 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

trentless

Hey Alan,
No extra parts, so the sleeve isn't the issue. By right side plate bearing do you mean drive shaft bearing (key24 2 req)?  What's the best way to deal with the lever drag/preset knob when servicing these reels?  Do you set them to free to avoid miss-alignment?  What should the max drag be on this reel?

Took everything apart, re-assembled with considerable improvement except for random grinding after pulling drag while testing settings.  Handle still seems hard to turn when full drag is applied, and as stated; random momentary grinding sound after spool/drag pulled.  It goes away after 2-3 cranks?  I think it might need a few bearings.  The spool & brake bearing looked rough and this might explain the symptoms.  Again its not my reel, like you I have the illness/obsession of tinkering with reels only I'm @ stage 1 !  ;D 
I will probably call Avet in the am for guidance and order new bearings.
Any thoughts?

Thanks

alantani

it's key #23 (pinion bearing) that always fails.  http://www.avetreels.net/uploads/SX_5.3.pdf  the lever should be in the free position when screwing down the preset knob.  the max drag is 8-9 pounds. 

trentless

Ok, same bearing, different key #, this is a SX5.1 not 5.3.  Will try 1 more time then call Avet if drag-grind noise continues.  How do you determine if a bearing is bad, or do you just assume age & neglect warrants it?

alantani

hold the outer race in your left hand, push on the inside race with your right index finger and twist.  if you feel any roughness at all, the bearing should be tossed.