Rib Repeat, Take Two

Started by ChileRelleno, October 09, 2016, 02:36:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChileRelleno

My SiL, the one I like, has been down visiting for her little brother's marriage.
She liked my BBQ'd Butt and Pig Candy, and heard about my ribs.
Well, here we go again by special request, Rib Repeat!

Three racks, rubbed with love and in the fridge waiting for the smoker in the morning.

Been making my own Rubs.
I've been trying to keep track of ingredients and their measures, and have been making alterations that have it becoming quite tasty.
This time I'm upping the Cajun spice from .25 to .5 cups, trying to get that perfect zing.

1 cup Dark Brown Sugar
1 cup Smoked Paprika
.5 cup Cajun Spice
.5 cup Seasoned salt
2 tbsp Garlic powder, Onion powder
1 tbsp ground Cumin, ground Cayenne

And my preference for applying it has definitely become Rub over Mustard.
For the Butt to make that thick Bark, it is hand rub, mustard, more rub, plastic wrap, fridge and more rub before going on the smoker.

Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Shark Hunter

Dammit John,
You are forcing me to smoke some meat. ;D
My Grilling expertise ends at Steak.
I had some ribs from famous Dave's this week.
I am quite certain, any of your Creation's would blow these away, but Damn it was good!
Life is Good!

ChileRelleno

Quote from: Shark Hunter on October 09, 2016, 06:53:22 AM
Dammit John,
You are forcing me to smoke some meat. ;D
My Grilling expertise ends at Steak.
I had some ribs from famous Dave's this week.
I am quite certain, any of your Creation's would blow these away, but Damn it was good!
Famous Dave's...  Love their Devil's Spit BBQ sauce.
Only ate at one once, it was good, but that Devil's Spit sauce was great.
Bought several bottles to bring home.
Ragnar Benson:
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Shark Hunter

That is exactly what I had on my rib tips.
I have a extra packet of it. the Devil's Spit is the Bomb. :P
Simply Delicious. Just the right amount of heat and spice. ;)
Life is Good!

David Hall

Your getting them ribs down pat.  I used to love famous Daves, until I heard he had been kicked out and the
" corporation"  took over.  Devils spit is the bomb.  Daves back in business but decided never to go public again.  So when you decide to open Chilis Rib Shack, keep it private we can petition Alan to have staff meetings at your place!

ChileRelleno

Cooked these at about 250' using the 221 method.
They were so danged tender and delicious, just pull the bone out and start shoving meat into your mouth.
I managed to get a pic of the racks before being driven out by the hungry horde, I barely escaped with a quarter of a rack for myself.
No money shot tonight, the ribs were so good I just plain forgot.

Ragnar Benson:

swill88

Looks great!

OK... so I don't have to google it... what's the 221 method?

Steve

ChileRelleno

2 hours 250'/smoking, 2 hours 150' wrapped in foil, 1 hour 250'/no smoke

A variation of the 321 method, the foiling is known as the Texas Crutch.
Increased tenderness and speeds cooking time.
Highly debatable method as it is easy to overcook and turn the meat mushy.
Which is why I took my heat down to 150' for the foil portion.

Some foil for only .5-1. hour, some don't foil at all and some foil for the last .5-1. hour and then serve.
Ragnar Benson:

Dominick

I use the Kansas City style recipe from America's Test Kitchen.  I also foil on low heat for the last hour.  Moist and tender.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

bluefish69

All you with a Back yard & Grill are lucky. Us city folk has to do this without Smoke. I put Reb on the night before & put Ribs on a Cookie Sheet & cover over Night in Fridge. Next day I add 1oz of water approx. & cover tightly with foil put them in the oven & 275* for 4hrs. After 3 hrs. I drain the fat & put on BBQ Sauce put back in oven for 45Min. & serve. I have cooked up to 9 Racks of Baby Backs at 1 time.

Mike

I FORGOT SOMETHING IMPORTANT
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

David Hall

Quote from: bluefish69 on October 10, 2016, 03:36:38 AM
All you with a Back yard & Grill are lucky. Us city folk has to do this without Smoke. I put Reb on the night before & put Ribs on a Cookie Sheet & cover over Night in Fridge. Next day I put them in the oven & 275* for 4hrs. After 3 hrs. I drain the fat & put on BBQ Sauce put back in oven for 45Min. & serve. I have cooked up to 9 Racks of Baby Backs at 1 time.

Mike

And I'd bet they're just as good as smoked.

Todd Jacobsen

Great looking ris and your rub looks good. I too make my own sauce and dry rubs. 5 sauces and 2 rubs. I use a 55 gallon drum I made into a smoker. I will share a good way to make tri tip I have found. Now I love it on the smoker as I cN raise my fire box to use as a bbq or lower it for a smoker. Take your tri tip and apply your dry rub. Set in frig for 30 to 40 min. PUt on bbq only to get the sear marks you like at a low heat. Have your oven set at 350 and bake while doing this.

Big Tim

Chile...Come West Lad  ;D And we will tag team on a feast that the AT family will travel miles to eat...Fishing as well  ;D Nice as always

BT