Previous topic - Next topic

cbar45

Tightlines667

Not that I am aware of :-\

Sure sounds like a good udea though. 
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Bryan Young

I'm starting to design SS yokes on an add need basis. Let me see if I have one to design off of.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

cbar45

Quote from: Tightlines666 on October 12, 2016, 02:39:18 AM
Not that I am aware of :-\

Sure sounds like a good udea though. 

Thanks John.

Quote from: Bryan Young on October 12, 2016, 03:10:13 AM
I'm starting to design SS yokes on an add need basis. Let me see if I have one to design off of.

If needed, I can send you a used (brass) 12-155

Bryan Young

I have a brass one to design off. Thank you.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

akfish

The Chinese Penn 209s come with a ss yoke.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

cbar45

Quote from: akfish on October 12, 2016, 01:32:56 PM
The Chinese Penn 209s come with a ss yoke.

Interesting and something new. Wonder if it's strong enough to hold up to a Pro Challenger heat-treated pinion?

RowdyW

Stainless against stainless would be less wear then stainless against brass. As for strength if it takes strength to pry it in & out of gear then something is wrong inside your reel. Stainless is stronger then plain brass though.

cbar45

Quote from: RowdyW on October 12, 2016, 03:53:28 PM
Stainless against stainless would be less wear then stainless against brass. As for strength if it takes strength to pry it in & out of gear then something is wrong inside your reel. Stainless is stronger then plain brass though.

The reel in question is a Penn 210 and shifts like butter.

Dropping in a set of Pro Challenger Jigmaster gears would be a nice upgrade--if not for the stock brass yoke getting chewed up.

RowdyW

It's very strange that the factory ss gear doesn't damage the brass yoke but the PC gears would. Have you done any testing?

Bryan Young

It really depends on the finishing of the gears.  Taking that extra step to smooth out any burrs and smooth out the edges where the pinion contacts the yoke. I've only had problems on PC's very first run of gears but nothing thereafter.

Bryan Young

Should I design and cut these yokes?  It costs me a minimum of $500 to do a run of yokes for each size. Therefore I'm reluctant to do so unless there is sufficient interest.

RowdyW

Bryan, it looks like china is changing over to ss in place of brass for most parts in their reels for Penn. The only need for ss yokes might be for obsolete reels that don't have any interchange with reels still in production & yokes (& other parts) are no longer available. For recreational fishermen it would take more then a lifetime for most to wear out a brass yoke. Look at how many reels are reconditioned with a lot of the original parts. Replacement of most parts with ss (but not all)is partially an ego thing (for lack of a kinder word). Maybe a lot of the people redoing their reels are trying to make them last 3 lifetimes instead of 2 without parts replacement. Good Luck on that. 

Alto Mare

I'm one of the guys that recommended ss parts to Alan Chui when he first started here, mine reason wasn't related to wear, mine was related to flexing on those. Gears had to do with strength.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

cbar45

Quote from: RowdyW on October 13, 2016, 02:47:18 AM
It's very strange that the factory ss gear doesn't damage the brass yoke but the PC gears would. Have you done any testing?

Yes, out of curiosity I tried installing Pro-Challenger 4.8:1 Jigmaster gears in the 210.

With minimal load they run nice and smooth, but once you tighten the drag and pull out some line you can feel the pinion start to bind.

Disassembled the reel and noted the tell-tale brass shavings and semicircle gouge mark, where the pinion rides within the yoke.

The stainless PC yoke meant to be paired with the Jigmaster gears is also noticeably thicker than the stock 12-155.

I don't know if that is a contributing factor, but the pinion appears to have less axial play when used in conjunction w/the PC stainless yoke.