Got some vintage Penns for parts

Started by festus, January 25, 2018, 11:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

Got these 8 reels for parts in the mail today, five 309, two 209 and one odd looking 350 Leveline.  None had handles, handle screws, or handle lock screws.  Some are missing the star drag and spacing sleeves.  Only one had a cracked sideplate, the brown 209 has a small chip missing near the clicker switch.  I've torn one of the 309 apart and cleaned it somewhat, it was in pretty good condition as is except for the missing parts.

This is my first look at a 350 Leveline.  At first glance I thought the piece called the spiral bar had melted and deformed.  ??? No, it's some type of levelwind mechanism I'm not familiar with.

Keta

Be careful with the 350 and do not loose parts.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

thorhammer

Be careful to put the 350 directly on a shelf...lol...what Lee said...

Keta

I was drooling when I posted too.   I have a lead on one but it has been 2 years, we both keep forgetting.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

festus

Quote from: Keta on January 26, 2018, 12:04:11 AM
Be careful with the 350 and do not loose parts.
I'll be sure of that.  Haven't taken it apart yet, but downloaded a schematic.  There are a few parts I'm not accustomed to dealing with in a Penn, but hopefully I'll figure it out.

Yesterday afternoon I managed to get one of the 309 back together.  Robbed the handle and screw from a Penn 79 Sea Mate so it looks a little goofy, but it sounds pretty good.  The line guide is bent just a tad but I think it'll be ok.

handi2

Lee you dont have a 350?? What's wrong with you ;D
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Keta

Quote from: handi2 on January 28, 2018, 10:11:33 PM
Lee you dont have a 350?? What's wrong with you ;D

There is one on eBay ending shortly for less than $4.00 with a bit under $14.00 shipping.  A friend has one he said I can have, I gave him some 349 parts last year, but we keep forgetting and it's been 3 years.  His CRS is as bad as mine.  I will see him at the Salem Saltwater Sportsman's Show at the end of Feb. and will remind him to bring it.

Mark Twain