Just about got this Okey Pokey thing figured out

Started by Big Tim, October 14, 2016, 12:00:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Tim

The Poke craze is on and there is 1000 recipes on Youtube and I think I know what I like... I like more of the wet/spicy marinade (ceviche) style..It kills more bugs. You may like it more traditional style or make your own favorite...They are all good  ;D

Tonight we get Ahi Tuna & Fresh Salmon Poke with Tofu Miso Soup & Salmon Skin Crackers from the heavens :

Poor empty dishes

Salmon Skin in light olive, kosher salt, and a tad of black pepper with a dash of garlic powder with chives...Thank you Jonathan  ;D Don't let the oil smoke & cook till crisp:

Next is the rice..I use a mixture of a dash each of Citrus Ponzu, Mirin & Rice vinegar in a bowl to wet my fingers so that I can handle and plate the rice...It gives a nice aroma and the rice doesn't stick to my fingers..I wash my hands a dozen times when I cook and drives my wife crazy on the wasted water...But no bugs...I like to plate the rice by hand (Sushi Stye) so that I can break up the rice:

Tofu Miso Soup...I'm not making it from scratch...2/3 cup boiling water per packet:

Now the good stuff...No real recipe, but my Ahi Tuna and Salmon Poke in my Marinade...I use a slotted plastic spoon to dish out the Poke and add the  marinade as a drizzle as desired:

Now crumble your Salmon skin crackers over your Poke dish and into the Miso soup...Killer meal ... Thanks for looking...Chile your next  ;D ... Enjoy

BT

Dominick

Uh-oh now there will be a cooking and poke contest with the chefs on the site.  Tim you did a great job on that salmon.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

steelhead_killer

><)))">

swill88

Put on your kimono Tim and I'll be right over... uhh ohh ... sorry Dominick... no locker room talk

Really great recipe Tim, thanks!

Steve

Tightlines667

Man-o-man does that look good.  Love the skin chip in the miso soup trick.  I may have to try that.  What did you use in your poke marinade?
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Big Tim

Quote from: Tightlines666 on October 14, 2016, 01:45:49 AM
Man-o-man does that look good.  Love the skin chip in the miso soup trick.  I may have to try that.  What did you use in your poke marinade?

Very,Very secret  ;D Actually I use thinly sliced white onions, jalapeno's , green onions, pickled ginger, kosher salt, soy sauce, kirin, light olive oil, red Chile pepper seeds, sesame seeds, Chile & sweet ponzu, rice vinegar, lemon juice and the rest is what I am looking at and what the taste is yielding at at time ... If I'm only going Yellowtail I want to to go as clear as possible...Once you add Soy or the darker Ponzu you might as well go sweet and spicy...My opinion. There is no measurement involved for for me as I learned to cook by taste and texture over 40 years ago.

BT

theswimmer

Ooohh man that looks good BT.
Good times yesterday brother......
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

David Hall

I just use a tortilla chip and scoop it up.
This is blue fin tuna from Monterey bay 2015.
Fresh mango chunks, some kinda seaweed shredded. Julienne onions, I don't remember what else?

bluefish69

I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

David Hall

Big Tim

bluefish69

I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

mizmo67

This looks really good!

I know what you mean about the measuring. I've come up with a few different recipes by experimentation..and then really had to think to figure out measurements when someone asks for the recipe!
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

ChileRelleno

I just ate a great meal and I'm drooling looking this over.  :o
Looks fantastic and I bet it taste even better.

I adore crispy Salmon skin, especially in handrolls.

Dang... Just dang.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

newport

Nice. Never would have thought of just cooking the skin like that. It's probably one of the best parts of any fish. Will try that next time with the miso soup and rice, simple and healthy.